Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I seen a placemat on Pintrest.... >

I seen a placemat on Pintrest....

I seen a placemat on Pintrest....

Old 08-05-2019, 08:18 AM

Default I seen a placemat on Pintrest....

I seen a placemat pattern on Pintrest and it inspired me to make a quilt just like it...only bigger of course. I want to enter it into a quilt show. Do I have to acknowledge the placemat designer? Do I say on the entry form what I said here that I was inspired by a placemat?

By the way I didn't buy the placemat pattern just figured it out on my own.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

If the form asked for the designer of the pattern then yes. I've seen many Bonnie Hunter, Jenny Doan, and other well known designers quilt designs in shows and no reference to the pattern or designer.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MOBRIDGE MOM View Post
I seen a placemat pattern on Pintrest and it inspired me to make a quilt just like it...only bigger of course. I want to enter it into a quilt show. Do I have to acknowledge the placemat designer? Do I say on the entry form what I said here that I was inspired by a placemat?

By the way I didn't buy the placemat pattern just figured it out on my own.
I've entered quilts in shows and where it asks for pattern I just say it was inspired by one I saw on the internet.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Agree ... important to read and know the rules of the show. Then follow them!
Give the info they require, and nothing else.

I learned that lesson ... I was too honest with one show, and acknowledged the long arm quilter,
which I thought was only fair and right to do.

Guess what? The judge's assistant later told me, that I was in first place until the judge saw that.
Interesting ... the tags are supposed to be kept folded with that info hidden during judging.

The other interesting thing ... lots of other quilts were quilted by someone other than the entrant.
They just didn't make note of it on their entry tag!

*sigh* Live and Learn!
Old 08-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

QuiltE, if the category didn’t say quilted by maker then the judge was in error. With that being said, the judges assistant was in breach of judging by disclosing anything that occurred during judging.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
QuiltE, if the category didn’t say quilted by maker then the judge was in error. With that being said, the judges assistant was in breach of judging by disclosing anything that occurred during judging.
Yes and Yes!
Though ... we know how that goes.
With the judge done and and long gone ... all one can do is breathe deep and move on!

Then there was the time that the rules clearly stated ... mini quilt, maximum 20" in any direction.
Sure enough the winner was well over 20", both in width and length.

The judge and/or assistants obviously did not know the difference between min and max.

The funny thing (well not funny!), all of us who were not in the top three, truly had minis.
All well below the 20". All with basically 1/2" finished pieces.
Yes, the 2nd and 3rd placings were within the 20" but with larger pieces.
The entries were like two different classes by their "read" on mini quilts!

*sigh*
Old 08-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

I have won several viewer's choice awards and they mean more to me then any judge award. I don't enter to be judged on workmanship, that is not what a quilt is to me. Really irks the winners of the judges ribbons for someone to win viewer's choice that was by passed by the esteemed judge.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:22 PM

In our county fair --there is a click and the judges always make sure their buddies always win the ribbons. discouraging when the quilts that win --my dog wouldn,t even want to sleep on them. Enough said. ( They don,t have a viewers choice for the quilts either)
Old 08-07-2019, 12:53 PM

I never entered because I don't make quilts for show. But I do love to look at the displays at quilt shows. But I did laugh at one that won a ribbon because it was a kit. (I had the same kit at home.) So my sister said to one of the docents she didn't know they would accept kits made from kits, and the reply was, "We don't!" Okay - we walked away and didn't point it out.

Some of the hand quilters I would love to sit with for instruction. When I took classes It was always hand held and not on a frame/hoop and the instructors would ask me why I was there. Because I can't get that perfect 10 stitches to an inch on my hoop.