Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What size quilt for a 3 year old?

Banned
    What would be a good size quilt to make for a 3 year old? I tend to make what I call my "toddler" quilts around 45 x 45 or sometimes a bit narrower and longer, but I usually make those for newborns with the thought that it will be large enough up to about the age of 3-4 years old.

My kids are long since grown, so memory fails, but I'd sure like some feedback on a good size for this age, thanks!

I make my toddler quilts at least 45x60

Does the little one sleep in a toddler bed or in a twin size bed? Mine are still in their cribs, but will move into toddler beds when they are about 3 (coming very soon). I am planning to make them new quilts for their new beds in 48 x 60 size. That should be a generous size for them to sleep under and still fit those little beds.

For a preschooler, I usually make mine about 50x50 to60x60, depending on the pattern that I want to use. Large enough to cuddle under, but small enough that they can carry them around fairly easily.

I say about like a couch throw apx 50X65 more or less

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am getting ready to make for a 2 and 3 yr old that are having a new baby sister in a few months. I will tend to make theirs probably the 50x50 so they can carry the blankets around..

Banned
    THANK you everyone! I do not know the child in mind... someone I heard about has a child in need, and I am hoping I can get a quilt whipped out in time to mail it for Christmas.

Blog Entries
    I made baby quilts for each of my great nieces and now I am beginning their next quilts. I will make them twin size, so they will last them a few years.

Blog Entries
    I like a 50 X 60 size for little ones this age... It will last them for quite a while :D:D:D

I do 50 x 60, and that seems to be the perfect size for them.

Blog Entries
    I make all mine 45x60 regardless of whether it is for a newborn or a toddler.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtinkle
    What would be a good size quilt to make for a 3 year old? I tend to make what I call my "toddler" quilts around 45 x 45 or sometimes a bit narrower and longer, but I usually make those for newborns with the thought that it will be large enough up to about the age of 3-4 years old.

My kids are long since grown, so memory fails, but I'd sure like some feedback on a good size for this age, thanks!
    The standard crib sized quilt is about 45 by 60. That's what I'd do. It's 5 feet long so it would fit fine until the kiddo is 10 or so.

A toddler bed has a crib mattress - 27-ish by 51-ish. I'm being commissioned to make a quilt for a friend's dd's toddler bed, she requested 45"x65".

For what its worth, if this is a snuggle blanket, my 5yo dd is 43" tall and on the tall side of her class, so 45-50" square would not be too small for a 3yo to use for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers
    For a preschooler, I usually make mine about 50x50 to60x60, depending on the pattern that I want to use. Large enough to cuddle under, but small enough that they can carry them around fairly easily.
    Ditto this. Toddlers like to carry them around. My littel DGD likes to play with them with her dolls, too.

Banned
    Thank you so much everyone!!! I really appreciate it!

Mine are 60 x 72 roughly since it will be a good size for years, and with putting 60 inch wide fleece on the back, two yards of it seems about right. No batting needed and as much or as little quilting as you want----it will finish in a flash!

Banned
    Unfortunately fate has conspired to keep me from doing this quilt. :cry: Today while working on another quilt, when I went to change the needle in my longarm, the screw broke off flush with the needle bar. Thank heavens my husband is a machinist, otherwise I'd have to ship the head back to the factory, but unfortunately he's out of town and it will be a few weeks before he'll be able to fix it.

I'll be doing good to get my customer quilts done now, ack!

Power Poster
    Approx 45 X 60 is a good size.

Blog Entries
    I like 45 x 60 also. It's big enough to cover me laying on the couch watching TV!

Blog Entries
    The problem with a 3 year old is that before you can turn around they are 6 or 7.. and a lot taller..

I would make it a fairly good size, 45 or 50 by 60 or a 65.. that way it will last longer than the baby quilts we make for newborns. I would want a child to get several years of use out of it as a blanket and then it still be big enough to be a lap quilt. Just my thoughts on what I'd do.. I'm sure they will love whatever size you make it.