Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size and type of machine needles do you generally use the most? >

What size and type of machine needles do you generally use the most?

What size and type of machine needles do you generally use the most?

Old 08-10-2016, 04:43 PM

Years ago, I was doing a lot of embroidery and went to an All Brands to buy needles. I have a Brother machine but didn't buy it from them. They told me the best needle for embroidery was the Organ HAx130EB 80/12. I believe these are titanium needles. I bought a pack of 100 for $29.95. They are absolutely wonderful! I know a lot of people who change needles after every quilt. I don't. They last forever. I wait to hear them start Plunking and then I change. This is an Etsy listing for the Organ needles that I use. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1109666...-hax130eb-emb6 I was concerned that since I had a home machine that they wouldn't be the right needles but they are perfect for my home sewing/embroidery machine and are great. Except>>>>> I couldn't for the life of me make them sew Velcro. They skipped stitches like crazy. I'll have to research what needle to use if I ever have to sew Velcro again.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:11 PM

80/12 microtex are my go-to needles. I use 70's on silks and with very fine thread, if needed. I also keep some Embroidery and Metallica needles around and since I do garment sewing some 90's for jeans and heavy weight fabrics.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Banned

I buy Organ sharps, top stitch, and ballpoint and use them in all of my machines, sewing and embroidery. I buy them in bulk, size11 for most uses, also use size9, 12, 14 and 16 when needed.

Cari
Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 PM

I use Schmitz or Organ -- I prefer the titanium. Barb, I use a 14 jeans needle for sewing Velcro and have no problems.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Visit Superior Threads website. They have free information charts teaching you a lot about different needles, threads, weights, sizes, uses. A great resource with a wealth of information. The size needle you use is dependent on the type/ weight of thread being used along with what you are using it for.
they also have a you tube by "bob" with his 24 inch long demonstration needle...he is a real hoot....and you will learn a lot
Old 08-10-2016, 08:00 PM

I mainly use Microtex/Sharps needles for piecing & quilting. I have used Quilting needles for quilting & find those especially helpful with vintage & repro fabrics because of the looser weave. I like Metallica and/or Top Stitch needles when working with metallic threads because they have the larger eye to keep the thread from shredding. I use Universal needles for garment construction & home dec. Here's the reference guide I use when deciding on a thread:
http://www.schmetzneedles.com/needle-guide/

If you do a lot of different types of sewing (piecing, quilting, garment construction, jeans/home dec, vinyl, etc), your best bet if you only want to use a single type of needle is always a Top Stitch needle. You'd be hard pressed to find an industrial sewing floor that uses anything else because Top Stitch will sew any type of fabric at all, with the most consistency & it is generally the easiest to thread. I look at it kinda like the Ford Crown Victoria of needles. That was a perfectly acceptable, reasonably priced, reliable vehicle that was used for millions of police cars, as well as a lot of the insurance institute testing for safety. It could do most things that were needed at an economical price point. It wasn't Ford's top performing car & it wasn't particularly great for certain activities like racing or driving off-road. You could certainly do those things in a CV, but there were better options for them. Fortunately, sewing needles are much less expensive than buying an SUV or sports car just to use on occassion, so buying a needle that is specifically designed for a particular task is not as unreasonable as buying multiple cars.

Still, at the end of the day, even if all you have are 50 packs of Universal needles that you really need to use up, unless you are engaged in professional or competition quilting, even a Universal needle will typically give you an acceptable result in both sewing & quilting. Some stitches might not form as well. The needle will be slightly more prone to breaking, but the difference is a matter of degrees. So the moral of my story is: Sew with what you like & don't worry about the Quilt Police.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I use Schmetz 90/14 Quilting needles for piecing and quilting.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:59 PM

Bree, you have a beautiful way with words. I loved your comparison with the Crown Vic. Very understandable as well!

Thank you, everyone! I am mostly sewing these days with Aurifil on my Janome and my Featherweight really doesn't seem to mind Coats and Clark so I'm trying to use that up when I sew on that machine.
I think I will definitely use up what I have while checking on a scrap to make sure I like the stitch quality. Will check out Bob at Superior Threads as well.
I really can't be bothered at this time in my hobby to be too persnickety and I am not planning on entering any big shows with the projects I'm working on. But...I was taught to try to do things right from the very start and have a hard time shutting that inner voice down sometimes. Anyway, thanks again!
Old 08-12-2016, 01:17 AM

I use Microtex 80 90% of the time with Aurifil 50wt. threads....for non quilt projects I use Connecting threads. Love the colors.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:22 AM

90/14 Organ titanium topstitch. Try to match needle to thread, the 90/14 topstitch is my go to.