Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Skill or technique was to hardest for you to learn/master? >

What Skill or technique was to hardest for you to learn/master?

What Skill or technique was to hardest for you to learn/master?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

My quarter inch seams deal me fits sometimes. I can't seem to get the hand of FMQ feathers either.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 PM

Hi not losing my 1/4 inch seam at the end of a piece. I have overcome this by usiing my index finger as a guide and slowing down when I get close to the end. It was annoying for a little while though.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM

Free motion quilting has been the hardest for me. I do some FMQ with straight lines, but would like to make some really nice designs. I just find it hard to just dig in and do it,. I guess, I just don't want to mess up my quilts, so I tend to do what I'm more comfortable with.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Believe it or not - the 1/4" seam is still my hardest task. I learned to sew by sewing clothes with a 5/8" seam and just can't seem to get out of the habit! Doesn't matter how many gimmicks I use - scant 1/4" foot, mole foam & tape stacked, edge guide - doesn't matter.... I still get that seam wonky even though I practice and sew like crazy now I'm retired.

Finally decided that as long as it was consistent, who cares! That finally freed me up to work on other things like FMQ and HST. I will have to say "PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT"...(thank you John Wooden from UCLA!).
Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Can we only choose one! Good gosh, let me see... They say confession is good for the soul, so here goes - I can't square fabric. I have taken classes, I have watched videos, I have had people show me how to do it, then watch me do it - I still have no clue how to do it. I'm not 'getting it'. How to use the markings on the rulers in reference to the fabric has never been explained to me in a way my little pea pickin' brain can understand. I always buy an extra yard of fabric, if I can, because I know what is going to happen. The weird thing is, my quilts are square when I'm done. I attribute this to blind, dumb, luck
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
Everything...at lease the first time. My biggest problem is learning FMQ (free motion Quilting).
That's currently my biggest problem too.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:10 AM

Needle turn applique, every time I have attempted it is a disaster and I end up doing machine satin stitch. Of course, there is Free Motion Quilting also. I am improving, but do not ever imagine it will look anything other than beginner.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:13 AM

My most frustrating issue is FMQ. I have sewn for more than 50 years but this is just eating my lunch!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 AM

Probably FMQ would be the hardest for me. I have a hard time getting the fabric to move so that I can make my quilting smooth.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:47 AM

FMQ for me. I have not yet tried Applique so the jury is still out on that one. So far, I can do a decent binding (better with each quilt) and my piecing skills are fair to middlin'. I love to PP but also just started so I have not really challenged myself in that arena yet.