Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are some of your personal rules/guidelines for when you are making a quilt? >

What are some of your personal rules/guidelines for when you are making a quilt?

What are some of your personal rules/guidelines for when you are making a quilt?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 AM

As far as I'm concerned, it's my quilt, I paid for it and I'll do what I want. I'll decide the color choices, the thread and all aspects of the quilt. Rather I give it away or keep it or sell it; those are my choices to make. I'd probably do it differently if I was doing it for a show and follow their rules but I doubt that'll ever happen. I only worry about police that can give me tickets or put me in jail; never any that are just being judgemental when they have on right. There are always more than one way to do things and when it's on me, I do it my way.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:46 AM

1. I have to like my color choices and fabric design. 2. I have to like my pattern.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 AM

I have only one rule, I can only be working on 2 quilts at a time. One in the sewing machine and one for hand quilting. I must finish one before I start another. I am retired, so I machine sew during the day and do hand work at night. I make each quilt with a specific person in mind. ( I really am afraid of UFOs)
Old 06-12-2013, 05:44 PM

For 18 years, most of my quilts have gone to homeless families. In fact, so far 425 have been delivered, mostly adult size quilts. I make them durable and warm, first. I do the highest quality construction within reason that I can do and still make a quilt for the next family. They are closely enough quilted or tied so they will not come apart with hard use. I make a lot of string or scrap quilts, and have one unifying color in the center of the block, and then most anything goes. For some, I might do mostly pinks, mostly blues, etc. Or yellow and blue, rwb, various purples, etc. I would not be ashamed to show these to anyone, and I've often had offers to buy them. My fastest quilt is 70 hours, although I may get into more jelly roll 1600 quilts and cut that time way down. Except at deadline time, when the weather is getting cold, I really enjoy doing this and it is my contribution to the people in my area.

However, it is my turn now. Starting next month, I'm doing a series of cool color quilts for myself, and the quality will be high. I will use all that I have learned in classes. And I will enjoy myself. Those are my rules.

I'm going to try to upload my focus fabric for that series here. It excites the heck out of me. Do you like it?
Attached Thumbnails woodrow-focus-fabric.jpg  

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 06-12-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 PM

After I've made 4 mistakes, it's time to stop sewing. It was probably time to stop after the 2nd mistake, but I am stubborn.