Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What stitch needle plates do you use on your machines? >

What stitch needle plates do you use on your machines?

What stitch needle plates do you use on your machines?

Old 09-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Hi,

I use my straight stitch needle plate for FMQing and to not forget and get that broken needle this is what I did.
I put a small piece of bright red electrical tape kiddie corner on the top right corner of the plate.....so I always know I have my straight stitch plate on. Doesn't interfere with anything, just a reminder to me!

Really helps me remember to change the needle plate.

Bev
Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 PM

I use the straight stitch plate for everything, except when I need to zigzag.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 AM

The Janome Horizon only comes with one plate, but has a "program" that allows you to set it for straight or for zig-zag.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I only use the zig-zag plate on my DHSM because I am notorious for switching the stitch but not the plate (or foot). Clunk goes the needle.
Same with me. I use a small scrap of fabric as a leader to stop the tangles and fabric going down inside.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:53 AM

What do you do with those broken needles? My friend Judi says throw the sharp end in your "sharps" container for the trash, and pound the other end in the wall to hang lightweight wall hangings. When you change your mind and want to put other hangings up that need to be hung differently, just pull out the broken needle and put it where you want it. That little hole made by the broken needle won't show.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:15 AM

Smile Single Stitch Plate is a MUST

A single stitch plate is a MUST !! .... and you are correct, the option to obtain one just isn't there anymore. I have "collected" four sewing machines over the years. One is set up with the single stitch plate. Another also has a single stitch plate. The 3rd has the zigzag plate and the 4th has the single stitch plate. I use the SS plate for more than the zigzag. Have no idea what has gotten into the manufacturers.....................
Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 AM

I love a straight line stitch plate, but do all my piecing with a zig-zag. Reason: I have to move the needle to get an accurate 1/4" & especially scant 1/4" & you can't do that with a straight line plate. I, too, have broken needles, forgetting which plate I have on the machine.

Stitching with my zigzag plate, I have to have a leader or hold the thread when I start. Otherwise, I get birds nest & other worse things....fabric gets punched all the way down into the bobbin & more. Regardless...I will piece on any machine, but some things make it easier & moving the needle is a biggy for me.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 AM

I use both and one can really notice the difference that a single stitch plate makes to fmq - I would not buy a machine without one.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:21 AM

I would try to make a straight stitch plate from a credit card if one did not come with my machine. Some one also posted just the other day about using tape to make a straight stitch opening for the needle. Good luck finding something that works for you.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
Done that so many times At least I change my needles frequently and as I buy them by the 100, because of classes, they are cheap enough not to worry about it. Thanks for your prompt replies Ladies.
Where do you get the needles by the 100s?