Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What thread do you use? >

What thread do you use?

What thread do you use?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 AM

I use Aurifil to piece with, it is pricy but you get alot on the spool and the bobbin holds alot also as it is a very thin thread. I hand applique with YLI silk, it disappears into the fabric. I machine quilt mainly using King Tut, I also like the YLI varigated for machine quilting.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 AM

DMC thread has a tenancy to bleed especially since they changed the laws on types of dyes that can be used. It's the only brand of thread I use for cross stitching. I always soak it in clean dish water in little custard cups and then air dry it on a hanger after rinsing it thoroughly. So I'd wash it before I put the effort into a quilt.
Hint: I put the number band next to the little bowl and then on the hanger so I know which color is which.

It holds up very well I have dresser scarves my mother made before she was married the fabrics getting worn, but the thread is still beautiful.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:17 AM

I found out the hard way that DMC will bleed:(
I made a red work abc for a baby gift and when removing my markings for the quilting the red did bleed.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 AM

When I bought my Babylock sewing/embroidery machine, the lady who taught the free classes said we should never use C&C thread because that's the "lintiest" of all threads. She had pics of different brands close up which showed the amount of "untwisting" with each brand. I had always used that in my old sewing machine; but now I have a mental block about that when I buy thread. I, too, like the Robison-Anton.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Maybe I'll have to shop here when I want colors :D Has anyone used this site???

http://www.redrockthreads.com/yli-th...ing-thread.asp
Yes, I get colors of aurifil thread that our quilt shop doesn't carry. Aurifil is my choice to piece with. It's just a bit more expensive than C&C but when you consider it has more than 3 times as much thread on a spool as C&C, and it's much smoother, the cost is worth it.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Great discussion! Currently I'm using two machines, an older Baby Lock and a new Sapphire Husqvarna. I was also told, way back when, not to use C&C but my Baby Lock loves it. In fact, I sometimes have trouble with more expensive threads.
However, with my Husqvarna, I use Madeira almost exclusively because, once again, the dealer told me not to use C&C and, given the price I paid for the Husqvarna (pricey for me!), I use the better thread.
Guess its a matter of what the machine likes and what you can afford. I should also add that I'm diligent about having my machines cleaned professionally once a year.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 AM

I use Coats & Clark. It's polyester, but I like it better than the expensive cottons.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:49 AM

I have been using Connecting Threads for years, love it and I don't find it to lint BUT I do use Superior threads Bottom Line exclusively in my bobbin, so not much lint in the bobbin area or under the plate.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 PM

Do you ever have a problem with linting with Connecting Threads cotton spools?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM

I, too, use the 1200 yard Coats n Clark Egyptian thread from Joann's. My machine balks at the usual Dual Duty Coats n Clark by stripping the thread through the tension but the Egyptian thread works beautifully. I especially like that it gives off very little lint while sewing. I, also, use my coupons for neutral colors when I don't need the coupon for something else.