Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What thread do you use? >

What thread do you use?

What thread do you use?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
I have been using Connecting Threads for years, love it and I don't find it to lint BUT I do use Superior threads Bottom Line exclusively in my bobbin, so not much lint in the bobbin area or under the plate.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
I love Superior Threads Bottom Line thread. I also use that in my bobbins. It lasts so much longer in the bobbin than other threads because it is so much finer. Don't have to change the bobbin as often.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
I use the coats and clark mainly cause I can get it at Wal-mart..I don't live close to a fabric store so I have to get what I can find...I have a question on the subject of thread? What do you use when you are doing a hand embroidery quilt...? I have been just using regular DMC thread..but before I get too far on it just wanted to know if that is ok?
I find that the DMC threads get a little knobby and worn looking when I use it in quilts but I haven't found a better alternative.

As for sewing? My Janome hates Coats and Clarke. Loves Gutterman and Mettler. I bought a cone of Connecting Threads and while I found it to be a bit heavier and not so easy to rip out (LOL), it works well too!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM

What is the best way to use the big cones for the top thread? I like the idea of buying the large cones, but I need your advice on ways to use them so that they run through the machine smoothly.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tallulah
What is the best way to use the big cones for the top thread? I like the idea of buying the large cones, but I need your advice on ways to use them so that they run through the machine smoothly.
You can get metal cone holders with a thin spike in the middle to hold the cone. I've never use one though. A friend of mine puts her cone in a sturdy mug and has been happy with it.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 AM

I use the metal thread stand. It has a tall metal rod with a hook thingy on top that lets your thread guide smoothly. I use it for all my thread.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
My husband buys me Coats and Clark for hand quilting and Walmart for machine piecing.
Be sure you don't use those 10/$1 threads, though. We've had so many machines come into our shop for repair when the only problem turned out to be inferior thread. I was surprised that thread could make so much difference in how a machine works, but it does.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by joeyoz
I use the metal thread stand. It has a tall metal rod with a hook thingy on top that lets your thread guide smoothly. I use it for all my thread.
I have one of those, but haven't really gotten into using it. How do you get the little metal rod in the center to stay put? I keep thinking that it should screw in. I will give it another try using the guide at the top to run the thread through. Is yours made of cast iron on the bottom?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
Originally Posted by Tallulah
You can get metal cone holders with a thin spike in the middle to hold the cone. I've never use one though. A friend of mine puts her cone in a sturdy mug and has been happy with it.
Thank you for your reply. I have heard of using a mug. Hmmm, I think that that might work on medium size cones.
See my reply to Joey below. I will try both ideas.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 PM

Oops my reply to Joey would be above, not below. :)
Old 01-01-2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by sewgray
I use Coats and Clarks 100% mercerized cotton in the 1200 yard spools. I buy it at JoAnn's when they have their half price sale. I usually buy several spools in shades of ecru and gray. I've heard other people say they don't like C&C but it works just fine for me.
I agree, sewgray...been using C&C for years and switched to the 100% cotton a couple years ago. Before that, our store didn't have the 100%.

Haven't had any problems with it at all....