Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what time of the day do you get the most sewing/quilting done?

With DH retired, a grand daughter who sews with me, the only time I really get to do my own thing in the sewing room is when GD is in school and I go on strike as far as cooking, laundry, or house cleaning. LOL

As I get older and until I get my ott floor lamp, I do my actual hand quilting during the day so I can see better. I use to sew at night too, but have to get that ott light.

I work outside the home 3 days a week so most of my sewing is done in the evenings. Especially Sunday evenings, DH is a pastor and runs the college group on Sunday nights. I am home alone and usually try to spend it sewing, or here on the computer.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    As I get older and until I get my ott floor lamp, I do my actual hand quilting during the day so I can see better. I use to sew at night too, but have to get that ott light.
    you will enjoy having it. that light makes such a difference

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I usually sew at night.
    It's calm in the house. Nothing needs to be done and I can hide away. Sometimes I forget the time and greet the sun coming up. oops! lol
    Same here, (although the "nothing needs to be done" never happens at my house!)

Jo

For me it is after the kids are in bed, so between 8-9:30pm and during naps on the weekend. If I try to do it when they are awake, I have two little "helpers" and lose half my pieces!

If I work using a sewing machine, I tend to do them at night or on a weekend. If I am hand-sewing the blocks, then I tend to do them while riding the light rail train to work.

If I have a project "calling" me - forget the housework, I'm sewing!

I get the most sewing done early in the morning. I get up around 6 or 6:30 and get some done before going to work. :lol:

Between 8 pm and 2 am. I MEAN to go to bed at a reasonable time, but it is just so difficult to stop. Just one more stitch turns into two more hours!!

I'm an evening quilter, after I get home from work. It helps me to unwind and forget the nonsense of the day I encountered at work. On the weekends, though, it's sunrise to bedtime. :)

Blog Entries
    Rarely in the am. Generally the afternoon and then late into the nite.

Blog Entries
    I'm usually quilting between noon - 4pm. I scramble getting things done in the morning, then Desperate Housewives comes on at noon for two hours, then two hours of Little House on The Praire.... lol!!!
    Then off to make dinner, and hang out with DH.
    :-)

i'm a late night person if i get into doing a project an can't stop like some material a good friend found that was part of her mom stash it was remnants from one of the clothing factories an this stuff has got to be almost as old as i am. i washed it an have about 2/3of it cut in strips for either log cabin or pineapple quiltmight be enough for one of both.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Terri and Neil (Diamond that is). Thank the Lord for the nighttime, forget the day!

I sew before all else.....life is to short not to do what you enjoy.....housework is always there and never an end to it and I sure don't enjoy....that gets put on the back burner....just don't do it as often as I use too.....so that is why I have all those quilts......I sew all day and all night....:-)

Since I am a widow now, I can sew pretty much when ever I want or get the urge. I love the flexibility. So what if the bed doesn't get made. Who sees it besides me, the two dogs and two cats.

Since I am a widow now, I can sew pretty much when ever I want or get the urge. I love the flexibility. So what if the bed doesn't get made. Who sees it besides me, the two dogs and two cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bevanger
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Early morning here too! Up at 5, after I have my coffee and work out, I go upstairs and quilt until noon. Although I quilt in the afternoon, the morning time just goes so well. Not much for evening quilting.
    I don't like sewing evenings either, I think its just the lighting.
    Lighting has become my problem. When I worked, I sewed at night (in those days it was garments); now I like to start early and sew all day long. Unfortunately, other things are neglected around the house. Lately I've been attempting to declutter, etc. and that leaves little time (and energy) for sewing.

About the clutter -- I got "connected" is FlyLady on the internet. Has she got the ideas for decluttering!!! As she says, I'm taking babysteps, but things are beginning to happen. Perhaps soon, I'll be back in my sewing room and doing what I love best.

I have handquilting projects going all the time and have them in our family room (in my own little corner!) and sit and work on them usually in the evenings but also when I'm just waiting on someone else to be ready to go somewhere or get their 'things' done so I can do mine. Machine piecing and cutting - I try to do as much as possible at one setting - to prevent as much confusion as possible. This I will do on Saturday mornings or in the evenings when I'm home alone - sometimes in the evenings when everyone else is occupied otherwise. I have only three more weeks of work left and then I will be able to sew more often during the day.

Oh, there's supposed to be a particular time? I live alone, so I have no obligations to anyone else on a daily basis. I can sew from the time I get up until I go to bed if I like. I have learned to recognize when I'm tired and will probably start making mistakes. Other than doing my machine piecing during daylight hours when the light is best, I can sit in my comfy recliner and do handwork day time or night time with my good lamp by my chair. I do have to work some chores, errands, and housework in during each day.

At night when my kids are in bed! Only for a couple of hours b/c after working all day I'm exhausted!

Quote Originally Posted by LBryan13790
    Between 8 pm and 2 am. I MEAN to go to bed at a reasonable time, but it is just so difficult to stop. Just one more stitch turns into two more hours!!

I love your avatar! Did you make that?? I think you need to post the picture so we can all oogle over it! What is it?!?! :D

In the sewing room: middle of the night

Hopefully, I'll be able to find some take along projects that will keep me busy (out of trouble!!) and accomplishing something while I wait & wait :shock: & wait some more. I can't stand wasting all that precious potential quilting time :!: :D

Blog Entries
    Nights and wekends.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast