Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Tips would you give to a New Quilter? >

What Tips would you give to a New Quilter?

What Tips would you give to a New Quilter?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 AM

Don't be afraid to ask questions. This board is an excellent resource. No question is too small or dumb.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:20 PM

Don't fret over everything just make sure it's a quarter inch Make what YOU! see and want in your quilt that's why quilts are all different! have fun
Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 PM

there is no right or wrong way to make a quilt - there is only your way
Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 PM

the only dumb question is the one not asked.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:38 PM

Quilting is a pleasure, not work. When it feels like work, I step away for awhile.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:48 PM

The first thing I would say is Quilting is a hobby.... not a job. You need not clock in at a certain hour and not stop until whenever. However, quilting can be addictive and you ay choose to sew as long as you want! Secondly, be patient... frustration WILL come from time to time. When that occurs, the best thing you can do is quit and relax until you are calm again. Best of luck and Happy Quilting~
Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 PM

The best thing I did when I was a new quilter was take classes. To this day, I continue to take classes, I have yet to walk away from a class not having learned something. Never stop learning.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions, especially here on the quilt board where the quilt police are banned. The internet is also a wealth of information, especially U tube where there are a lot of tutorials and videos.

Have fun and Happy Quilting
Judy
Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Holice

Regardless of what craft one does, the basic MUST be learned before proceeding. You have to learn how to use meauring cups etc before baking a quilt. Why should it be any different with quilting. If you want the points to match and block end up the size to fit then you MUST learn how to do this. Read a book, Take a class
I only half agree with this. If I had waited for a class, I'd still be waiting. I agree you have to learn the basics but I learned by doing, because I had no alternative. I absolutely know the value of accuracy because I remember the pain of early projects being mismatched. I try not to repeat the same mistake but new mistakes teach new things, if you listen.

You have to start from where you are.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
If possible take a quilt class from a local quilter or LQS. Learn from another quilter how to make the choices of value, not color for your contrasts to really work in the pattern. Simple designs can be stunning when done with bold colors with great contrasts.
Excellent tip!!!!! And this is something you may never work out on your own (unlike accurate seams, for example). Contrast makes the pattern and Value makes contrast!

I knew 'sweet fat aiths' about contrast before being shown by someone who knew. I would spend money on that before paying to have someone show me how to cut.