Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Tips would you give to a New Quilter? >

What Tips would you give to a New Quilter?

What Tips would you give to a New Quilter?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 AM

So many wonderful tips - and remember to continue to read the quilting board as tips and ideas and pictures take on new meaning as you progress through this wonderful creative journey.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:29 AM

I joined a quilting class at my local quilt shop and it help me lot's. When people love what they do they like to share their knowledge. And reading this board is wonderful,too!!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM

there are no perfect quilts....it's ok to have a little oops

get the basic tools....glue stick for binding, seam ripper (will be your best friend), short and long ruler, good shears that are only used for fabric, lots of bobbins (when I start a project, I fill 4/5 at a time...great time saver)

Don't listen to anyone who tells you "you can't do that"....if you like it, it's ok!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:47 AM

Check with your local Adult Ed or Extension Office. I took a great beginners class through the local extension office. Very hands on. They also had specific subject classes. I learned quilt-as-you-go and made a Christmas theme lap quilt. And, did a Log Cabin Wreath.

Christmas Quilt-As-You-Go class project
[ATTACH=CONFIG]240497[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-240491.jpe  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Repeat after me: perfection is not required
Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by gemladi
Always take the time to press your seams.
YES ! the iron is your new best friend ! and press is the key word it is an up and down "hopping" motion not a sliding one like ironing clothes.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Banned

Learn the basic process for quiltmaking:
Accurate measuring/marking
Accurate cutting
Accurate piecing.

Then go for it.

It is my opinion that many new qulters just start and wing it without taking the time to learn the basic rules for good quiltmaking It doesn't have anything to do with the so called quilt police. Regardless of what craft one does, the basic MUST be learned before proceeding. You have to learn how to use meauring cups etc before baking a quilt. Why should it be any different with quilting. If you want the points to match and block end up the size to fit then you MUST learn how to do this. Read a book, Take a class
don't assume you can rely on advice from the internet because we all approach the question from our own level of skill. Do your homework first.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:18 AM

Wow, as a newbie, I appreciate all the advice. Gotta get some starch and some spray basting now. I am already great friends with my seam ripper, and I do read read read the board. Lots of great ideas here.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 AM

Learn about fabric quality and content. Inappropriate goods cause endless frustration and disappointing results.

Metaphor: my mother was, no kidding, one of the world's best pie makers--- except apple, because she never would accept that some varieties make pitiful pies. No matter how skillful the mixing of the crust, the sugar, the spices, the baking time, if you don't know how to pick the right apple you're never going to have the result you want.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:24 AM

I just purchased a book, "101 Fun-to-Quilt Pot Holders" by Trice Boerens. It is a very informative book with small projects that use different techniques and patterns. They are not overwhelming projects - just alot of different patterns, simple instructions, and very satisfying results. A beginner will enjoy this while learning some of the very basics in quilting. I know. I am one of them!