Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Type of Foot Do You Use On Your Sewing? Machine?? >

What Type of Foot Do You Use On Your Sewing? Machine??

What Type of Foot Do You Use On Your Sewing? Machine??

Old 07-24-2022, 08:19 AM

Default What Type of Foot Do You Use On Your Sewing? Machine??

I am thinking about ordering extra feet for my sewing machine. I received several new feet with the purchase of my machine but have since purchased a quarter inch foot with the attached sewing guide. I am thinking about ordering one without the guide and possibly another more narrow foot that I would use only when the needle is set in the center position. I notice that there are now clear see-through feet available as well. Does anyone own one of these and do you like it better than the regular all metal foot? All of the feet I received with the purchase seem so wide and I think a more narrow foot would work better for me. Just wondering what others use.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:28 AM

What machine do you have.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:47 AM

Is your machine a 9mm one, one thing to watch for is that foot will cover your feed dogs. If it doesn't, the feed dogs will have problems feeding the fabric. I like open toed feet for some things like applique so you can see where the stitches go. I do have some clear feet and I sort of like them if I am doing something where I need to be precise but actually like the opened toed metal one better most of the time. If your machine has some videos online with specialty feet, that might be a good place to check first. I have a Bernina and they have an online catalog for all their feet, most of them also have a video showing you how to use them.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:54 AM

I use the open toed foot unless I need the quarter inch foot. The open toe gives good visibility and it's my favorite.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Some machines have a "single hole needle plate" available - it is used only for straight stitching - with a single hole presser foot.

Some people say that it improves the quality of their straight stitching.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:11 AM

For my Brother 1500S, the 1/4” foot is for all the sewing. For FMQ there are 2 feet. The one with the machine has great visibility. Since it’s not round, a Judi foot is used for echo quilting.

For Bernina 770 with 9mm, the quarter inch foot is difficult for me to be accurate. I use the clear foot and move the needle right 2-3 clicks. This gives the fabric plenty of feed dog coverage for better fabric movement.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:15 AM

I have a Brother CS5055. Thank you for mentioning about coverage of feed dogs. That is something I had not considered before.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:16 AM

I use what I think my manual calls the patchwork foot (I have a Juki computerized). It is the foot that goes with the straight stitch plate; it is cut away on the sides and gives excellent visibility. I use the edge of it to adjust my seam. The all-purpose foot is clear and wide, but I can't really see through it very well. I feel like I'm sewing blind when I use it.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:12 AM

I actually use my walking foot while piecing - it helps to evenly feed the fabric through the machine. Try it, you might like it.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:25 AM

I have stopped using the quarter inch foot with the flange or guard. After measuring completed seams, I have found this foot is NOT giving me a good quarter inch. The fabric is going under the flange just slightly. But that little bit adds up and my blocks were not accurate, so I'm back to my open clear foot for now on my Janome computerized machines. I just got a straight stitch machine, Janome HD9V2 and I am using the narrow foot. I think I, like this one much better for piecing.