Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What type of quilting should I use?

I am starting a rail fence baby quilt for some friends. I only have a small amount of time to get this done and have only successfully completed one quilt (my definition of success is being happy with the results), does anyone have any ideas on how to quilt it when the top is completed? I can only do very basic free motion and the backing of the quilt is a plush material. I don't want to tie it either, any ideas? Help!

Blog Entries
    sorry, i don't but you might put rail fence into yahoo search and click on Images. then see quilts others have done. web shots too and maybe even search in this forum.

My first quilt was a rail fence. The teacher had me do a wavy line over the seams as SID was harder for first time. It turned out great. I had flannel back so not the same as plush. I did one with similar stitch over seams of quilt with fleece on back and that worked well. Have not tried FMQ with that type of back so can't help you there.

Thank you for the response, I am new to this site but am excited by all the information. Did you do wavy lines on every seam or with every block?

I would think a meandering would be nice, not too tight, though.

If you used wavy lines, it is like SID. How close depends on lize of blocks and batting. Most batting will indicated how close it should be quilted. I think I did around the blocks and then did design in border, but do not have quilt here and am too old to remember all the details of 11 years ago. LOL

can't even type today. I mean size of blocks

Blog Entries
    If this is a first time using a plush material as backing, you may want to make a practice sandwich first... the stretchier backing handles differently than cotton does. This may dictate whether you would be happier with SID or FMQ :D:D:D

I would try the meandering. It goes fast and looks so pretty.

I'd either meander or I would quilt diagonal lines across the quilt going both ways. They wouldn't have to be that close together (check what you batting suggests as minimum width though).