Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What types of projects do you use your embroidery machine for?

What types of projects do you use your embroidery machine for?

Woot! Took the plunge and ordered the Brother PE 770 embroidery machine (along with 40+ spools of thread, stabilizer, and pre-wound bobbins) and it's on its way to MY house! When I told my mom I ordered it she said, "Wow! So what are you going to embroider?" That question kind of stumped me because I don't think I gave a real coherent answer. Sure I'll do quilt labels and...ummmm...and....

My question now to you board members is "What types of projects do you use your embroidery machine for?"
    Sandra B

That is an expensive label machine maker!

You can do lots of things. All your practice can be turned into quilt squares. You can do towels, existing clothing, accent lots of things...bags, purses. You will find lots to do.

I DO do quilt lables, and towels for gifts (everyone in my family has got embroidered dish towels), and some shirts. Baby onesies with a cute minkee applique embroidery makes a great shower gift. A friend comissioned me to do personalized corner blocks for a quilt she was commissioned to make. I made a cute in-the-hoop quilted/embroidered embroidery scissors case and gave it with scissors to a quilting friend. Lots of cute things and lots of free designs online. Learning the correct stabilizers for the project was key to making a project I was happy with. ALWAYS do a test stitch out so you don't ruin something. Ask me how I know!

I make personalized baby blankets, with name and birthday. Makes a great gift! I make them ahead so I can just personalize them and get them to the family quickly. So fun to watch Mom see her baby's name. I also personalize Christmas stockings. I have used my embroidery machine to quilt wall hangings. So far have not done a quilt, but that might be in my future. Red work makes beautiful squares for baby blankets. And in the hoop projects are great fun. You will enjoy your new machine!!!

I embroider everything and anything...LOL...have lots of decorated shirts, do lots of baby things and tons of quilts!!! I'm sure you'll find something to do besides quilt labels and yes I do those too!!!!

I embroidery what ever I want to. I have done quilt blocks and labels, purses, clothing, towels, wall hangings...all kinds of things. You willl enjoy your new machine and have fun trying out all the things you can do with it.

About the same. Almost everything -including Quilt in the Hoop. Yards of lace edging. I use most of the fancy stitches, too. You can combine machine stitches in the hoop, too.

In addition to the above, I'll add name embroidered pillow cases for my puppy friends.
    Since I gain weight reading cookbooks, why can't I lose weight watching a fitness program?

Blog Entries
    I used to be a casket embroider. Did my sons boxers, shirts towels everything.
    id start the summer w five white shirts, by aug, they were embroidered.

lots of ITH(in the hoop) designs- tissue holders, coin purses, scissor cases, etc. Blocks for quilting to sash around, you can quilt with your EM, make ornaments treat holders, monogram, the possibilities are endless
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

All kinds of things - quilt labels of course, and quilt blocks, towels, pillowcases, hoodies, wall art, names and/or designs on almost any piece of clothing, christmas (or any holiday) decorations. There are thousands of projects, on lots of websites. There are some free ones on the Brother website, and anitagoodesignonline.com and emblibrary.com are good ones (but not all free).

I love making quilts with embroidered blocks! My favorites so far have been triple irish chain, with flowers on the blank squares.

Everything. Pretty soon you will look at something (a shirt, pants, coat, towel, curtains. . . ) and say "That needs embroideried. And free standing lace, bookmarks, ornaments, curtains. . .

Today I'm making two lace pillows for the guest bedroom with my embroidery machine. Well lets say I'm going to start making them.

I have a large chest and the bad habit of spilling or dribbling on my front. Most of my plain tops have some kind of embroidery on them to hide the stains. I make lots of personalized sweatshirts for members of my family. My grandson is doing professional guiding for duck hunters this year. For Christmas I embroidered GUIDE on the front of a sweatshirt jacket for him and in large letters FOLLOW ME on the back. I have made my husband a sweatshirt which says MY OTHER RIDE IS A HARLEY. He does have a Harley but their clothing items cost a small fortune.
    You will find plenty of things to do with your embroidery machine. ENJOY! Using the right stabilizers is the first thing you have to learn. They make a big difference in the appearance of the finished project.

So far I only do redwork designs in different colors. Teddy bears in blue for baby quilt with 9 patch alternating blocks. Pretty designs for squares in green to make an adult quilt.
    I only have a 4 in design machine so do 6 in blocks.
    I love how the quilts look and if my camera would download pictures would show them.

Blog Entries
    There are so many. This past week I embroidered a picture frame with a snowman, the white was done with Angelica Fibers so that it glistens. I'm finishing up a mesh beach bag for my daughter, she needed one that was big enough for her and her 2 kids things but one that wouldn't get messed up by sand or water. I've made a "stained glass" nativity scene and a 4 group pictures of African scenes for my daughter. I use my cutwork needles and have made book marks, an organizer set, a zippered coin purse, table runners and placemats, books for the grandkids, quilts (best not to forget that) you can quilt with it depending on your size of hoop, my Viking Diamond Deluxe has really large hoops plus the endless hoop. I made door hangers for the kids with their names so they can put them on their door knobs. When you go to different design websites most have a project section and a tutoril section, I always check them out for ideas. I know there are lots more including decorating clothes but it's hard to think of them all. If you get a chance to go to Floriani's workshops you'll get more ideas than you can imagine and its not to costly. I go to classes each month to learn more about my machine, to do embroidery and to learn more on using my 5D software. My favorite thing to do though is the cutwork using the cutting needles;its fantastic. This yr I'm going to also do portraits using my 5D software. Check to see where you can take classes. I know that even though my favorite store sells Vikings, they will let anyone with any machine take thier classes with no pressure to buy a Viking. We have a sew and vac store here and they have a monthly club that also allows people with any machine. In June I'll go down to Raleigh NC to the sewing convention and they have great classes as well and most there supply a machine so you don't have to take yours.
    Judy

My main item is sets of flour sack dish towels (days of the week and others). We have a large family w an average 3-4 weddings/yr. They make nice shower presents. Also, embroider on the grkids shirts, quilt blocks, christmas stockings, treat sacks, hot pads, and designs to frame.

I embroidered the cuff on pillowcases for the "little" ones in my family for Halloween and Christmas. I've attached a few photos - please feel free to copy these ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My favorite project is putting a large or tall design on the leg of jeans. Just open up the inseam so the leg will open out flat. A pair of jeans that cost me $7.00 (on clearance sale) and fit nicely, press front crease in both legs, and you have a dressy pair of custom jeans. (a botique would charge you $50 - $90 for them). Also make placemat & napkin sets for gifts.

I have found that anything I can write, I can embroider. Also there are many projects you can do as gifts and crafts.

Blog Entries
    I just recently took an accuquilt appliqué frog and Marjorie Busbys embroidery file for the face and put the finished applique on a onesy for my new greandchild.

These ideas are great! I've had my machine for about 6 months. So far, I've done quilt labels, dish towels, hand towels, bath towels for each of the 10 nieces and nephews, 4 sweatshirts, 3 stocking caps(for my hubby), a handful of t-shirts for my girls, and personalized fleece blankets for the American Girl dolls in the family. My sister is expecting, and as soon as I find out pink or blue, I'll go to town on baby items as well. Can't wait!

Blog Entries

Quilt labels

Do you have a favorite program for the labels? I haven't used my machine in years. Need to get going.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Towels, tee shirts, aprons, wine bags, quilt labels and designs, pot holders, clothing accents, ornaments, book marks, bags - anything with an embroider-able surface is fair game. I'm sure once you have it, you'll use it a lot. Just don't hesitate to use it and practice. I love to embroider!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast