Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What types of projects do you use your embroidery machine for?

Quote Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
    I embroider everything and anything...LOL...have lots of decorated shirts, do lots of baby things and tons of quilts!!! I'm sure you'll find something to do besides quilt labels and yes I do those too!!!!
    Do you embroider with the batting and backing and then use a quilt as you go method or the whole quilt?

Blog Entries
    I love my Brother PE-770. Almost lost it in Hurricane Sandy, but the technician got her working again. You can do soooo much. Here's my short list:
    Pin Cushions
    Throw cushions
    Embellish apparel - recently bought a lightweight hoodie and realized I love it because it's embroidered!
    T-shirts
    Towels
    Table cloths and napkins
    Free standing lace decorations - from Christmas tree decor to sun catchers
    Toilet Paper
    Wall Hangings
    Samplers
    Aprons
    And, of course, quilting! - There are quilt patterns galore. You can also applique with it.
    Last edited by Krystyna; 01-30-2013 at 05:49 AM.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Do you embroider with the batting and backing and then use a quilt as you go method or the whole quilt?
    If I am doing a quilt pattern I use it on the sandwich.
    If I am doing a dense pattern that serves as an embellishment, then it is done on the patch and pieced.
    Of course QAYG is easy.
    Did you know you can also applique?
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries

You'll Love your machine!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
    Woot! Took the plunge and ordered the Brother PE 770 embroidery machine (along with 40+ spools of thread, stabilizer, and pre-wound bobbins) and it's on its way to MY house! When I told my mom I ordered it she said, "Wow! So what are you going to embroider?" That question kind of stumped me because I don't think I gave a real coherent answer. Sure I'll do quilt labels and...ummmm...and....

My question now to you board members is "What types of projects do you use your embroidery machine for?"
    I make almost all gifts for showers, birthdays, anniversaries. I personalize all the gifts with the recipients name and a small motif appropriate to the recipient. I pretty much sew "full time" and having the embroidery machine is a Godsend for the personalizations. Have fun!!

On this website you can get 3 free embroidery designs per week.
    Plus they often have good sales.

http://www.embroiderydesigns.com/

I mainly make quilt squares, they make such cute crib quilts. I also embroider the trim on pillowcaqses, they make cute personalized gifts. and of course my quilt labels. Have fun and enjoy your new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    My quilt squares are flower bouquets that have around 40,000 stitches so I only embroider the top block. I cut the block out after it is embroidered.

The only way I'll drop 10 pounds is to go shopping in England. - Maxine-

I will add a few items from my list, that was not listed already... photo frames.. wall clocks for kitchens/dens etc.. baseball hats and even a lace vest for my granddaughter. I normally have my machine going every time I am in my sewing room...and then I am piecing on the other machine...
    Faye

I make squares with designs on them, then sew them into quilts. I also make quilt labels, embroider on kitchen towels, sweatshirts, fleece blankets, and whatever I can find. Also, I make free standing lace angels to donate to the cancer center, put them in cards, and just hand out. Can also make mug rugs and coasters. Lots to do with an embroidery machine.
    Laura

One of my favorite things are items for the suitcase. I have a daughter who travels once in a while to business conferences to teach. She always wears business suits, carries a briefcase, etc. This has carried over into her personal life. She has a very tailored wardrobe, would never wear a ruffle or an embroidered item. But in her suitcase she will use frilly things like satin shoe bags, matching jewelry cases, roll up cases for whatever item she wants to insert in the pockets to keep protected. These I can embroider and/or monogram, etc. I make them pretty, very washable, very feminie but not frilly. Great gifts. Even when you put your things in the hotel safe I like to have them in something - not just hand them a necklace or even a packet of papers.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Woot! Took the plunge and ordered the Brother PE 770 embroidery machine (along with 40+ spools of thread, stabilizer, and pre-wound bobbins) and it's on its way to MY house! When I told my mom I ordered it she said, "Wow! So what are you going to embroider?" That question kind of stumped me because I don't think I gave a real coherent answer. Sure I'll do quilt labels and...ummmm...and....

My question now to you board members is "What types of projects do you use your embroidery machine for?"
    One of my first projects was collecting free butterfly designs on line and made a wall hanging for my mom as she likes butterflies. My Brother is the one that does 4 X 4 and I made a embroidery block then a printed block with butterflies. It was really cute
    quilting with my dogs

Our guild has just started a subgroup of people who have embroidery machines to share projects, ideas and so forth. I do not have an embroidery machine but I love the idea of a subgroup. BTW - there are some amazing new patterns out that do not even look like they were done on the machine. Google for some images

You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go. (Dr. Seuss)

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Our guild has just started a subgroup of people who have embroidery machines to share projects, ideas and so forth. I do not have an embroidery machine but I love the idea of a subgroup. BTW - there are some amazing new patterns out that do not even look like they were done on the machine. Google for some images
    I googled but apparently couldn't find what you are talking about. Can you give a link? I used images for embroidery projects and everything was beautiful but looked embroidered.

I have the same machine........when you find out how to do "quilt labels" PLEASE let me know!!

Besides what everyone else already has said, I quilt with the PE 770. Her are some tips, I found useful. I have done numerous full size quilts. I sandwich the completed face, batting(warm and natural for me) and backing and use embroidery designs that are line drawings. Simple designs with a low stitch count. You'll find an enormous amount of designs on the web specificly fpr quilting. You don't need stabilizer when you hoop all three layers at the same time. Make sure that you open your hoops wide enough. Also when you quilt a full size quilt, make sure that all your extra material is on a table. I sometimes do the embroidery standing up and hold the material off the machine. You don't want the quilt to drag. It is a lot of work, (rehooping it all the time), but I like to do it. Good luck with your machine. At times it might be frustrating, but it is also a lot of fun.

Last edited by Freddie; 01-30-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling error

Blog Entries
    I mainly use mine for quilting. There are LOTS of quilting designs in embroidery collections. Both Anita Goodesign and John Deer have some great ones. I've used both on several of my quilts. And I use 5D from Pfaff to design my own.I can scan pictures or drawings into 5D and make outlines for quilting or just use the drawings themselves. Infinite possibilities.

I've also embroidered some of John Deer's gorgeous Christmas Ornaments. In 2010, I embroidered Tshirts with our last name and Cape Cod 2010 in a round logo for a Cape vacation. Everyone loved them. The kids wore them every day - I made 3 for each of the kids - got the Tshirts at Michaels. I know they won't last forever, but the kids are growing anyway!

I have the Janome MC 9500 and the Janome MC300.
    I am addicted to machine embroidery and use them for embroidering on blocks for quilts,table runners,place mats all sorts of towels and wash cloths,baby bibs, purses, sweat shirts and the list goes on and on.
    Have fun using your new machine but one hint that works for me is I only use Janome bobbin thread for stress free embroidery.

I just purchased Pfaff Creative Vision in August.....still learning stuff, but I am loving it. In Nov. I took a Anita Goodesign 2 day class for $59.00 and recieved loads of free stuff and purchased the Diamond Club. So I get 2 software packets each month. Lovin' it.
    For Christmas I made dishtowels, and have orders to make some for friends. Bought the software to go with my machine, but learning to use it. My plan was to use to make quilt labels, but haven't yet course that would mean to do a couple of my UFO's to make one.
    my question is - is there a Embroidery board/blog like what we have here on Quiltboard.com and where is it?
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

Blog Entries
    check out dkembroidery.com lots of wonderful patterns. I used to cover stains on tops for my mom, she lost her sight and things would drip onto her! I knew she would hate the stains so I covered them!! Think falling leaves & flower petals
    Patski
    always learning

You can do lots with an embroidery machine, Quilt blocks, clothing designs, towels and napkins, Christmas stockings
    anything you can imagine. There are a lot of things you can complete in the hoop. Just start checking out internet embroidery sites and enjoy.

I made my son's Wedding Ring quilt with embroidered blocks...turned out great and they seemed to love it...I have used mine for quilting, sweatshirts, tee shirts for my grandson, golf towels for my son's college team with hats as well...lots of things you can do...have fun...
    Kitty

I embroider Snowman, Santas, Nutcrackers, everything under the sun, to make bed runners, quilt motifs on quilts, I scanned in pictures from a Star Wars coloring book to make a quilt motif for the Star Wars lap quilt for my grandson. Haven't stitched it out yet but excited to try it.
    Vickie 1976
    The Lord blesses the hands that create.

I actually quilt with my embroidery machine

Just learning how to use the software, then I hope to do some.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I used to be a casket embroider. Did my sons boxers, shirts towels everything.
    id start the summer w five white shirts, by aug, they were embroidered.
    I've never seen the term "casket embroider". I am anxious to learn something new.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast