Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved? >

What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie D
The worse advice I ever received was, you don't have to measure your quilt and cut your borders to fit, just make sure the piece your sewing on is longer than what your sewing it to. Big Mistake!
I do that! It's not right? Why not? I need to know before I do another border. :-D
Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 AM

I loved reading this topic!

I got good advice on here to speed up the tshirt stabilizing, but hit the edges and ended up with a dirty iron. I've gotten it clean, but not before I tried to press a fabric for something else! :-)

Guess that's at least one fabric I'll be washing before using!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 AM

The worst advise I have received as You can do this BOM - I'm stuck on my second BOM YOu measure sew/ cut that piece/ put it into a larger 12 1/2 inch square. I did not realize that every piece was cut 2 times to make it fit. Why not just cut it the right size to begin with?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 AM

The worst advice was in JoAnn's. I had brought in a pattern that I had printed from one of the websites. The clecks kept telling me that I needed to buy the colors of fabrics that were called for in the pattern.I never do that. I also usually change the placement of the blocks so I had a sheet of graph paper with me. The clerk told me that the quilt would be so ugly that no one would want it in their home. I sold it for $400.00 and that was for a full size quilt.A lot of people make and sell quilts in this part of Virginia so we can't sell them for as much as some of you in other states.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM

Someone once said something about not only do we learn from our own mistakes, but we can learn from others'. Can't say I have had anything like some of these. But then being a Crazy Quilter gives me more freedom. When a clerk ask me what am I making, as they are taught to do at JoAnn's (I know, I worked there last year for a few months), I can just say I am crazy quilting...and watch the blank stares, because 99% of them have never heard of cq, and couldn't give any advice if they wanted to!!!!
Crazy Quilting means there are no mistakes...just room for more embelishments!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 AM

I did a quilting class and the main fabric design for me were fish (beautiful and great for kids). The suggested supporting 9-patch colors did not work for me. When I got home I changed the colors and it looked much better. I have found that we do not all see colors in the same way.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 AM

I do not often read all the posts in a post but I did this one and I had to laugh. I have been told so many of these same things. Many times someone tries to talk me out of my bright colors then wants the quilt when it all gets put togehter. They do not have the same vision that I do. I do think outside the box and not bragging but I have always been able to picture how something would look. As for color wheels, I looked at one and thought it was the most useless thing ever invented for me. If I like it it goes.

Do not ever let someone else pick colors for you or tell you you cannot do something.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Good for you. Maybe what they were really saying was They couldn't do that.
Originally Posted by bunniequilter
Worst advice i ever recieved was, "Oh NO you CAN'T do that!!" Bullpuckies to that, I do what I want to do and the end result is what I want.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by bizzyquilter
The worst advise I ever got was when I was making my first quilt. The shop owner talked me into a dark printed backing. What did I know! It was a log cabin quilt and with the dark fabric on the back you couldln't see all the had quilting. I was very disapointed. I think quilting is a personal thing and everyone should make their own decisions..we all see things differently.
I totally agree.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:55 AM

On my first quilt--for a niece who had chosen inexpensive fabric--I cut all of the strips for an Irish Chain-- lengthwise. Just beginner luck as I had not trouble with wavy blocks or the finished project. And this was before I knew to "size, size, size." (Don't tell her, but she would sew strips and then I would take them out because of uneveness and redo them when she went to work.) Later she admitted that her "experience" had been to sew a pj bottom in 7th grade. She has improved and I just bought her a new machine for her very own!

Thanks to this board for all or you GOOd advice! :D