Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do with this fabric

What would you do with this fabric

I found this fabric at a thrift shop near me and picked it up without a clue as to what I would do with it. I looked online to see if I could find the pattern and get ideas from there but didn't see anything. Would you use the panels as they are or cut them up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by crocee; 05-30-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: forgot the pictures

If you have enough of it, you could do a stack and whack design.

Ummm I have about 20 yards or more

Power Poster
    It is pretty enough for a whole cloth quilt. You could look up some patterns for bandana quilt tops.

Blog Entries
    with 20 yards, you could try all kinds of things! How big are the rectangles? Are they big enough to be pillows? or small enough to be pot holders?
    They make me think of picture frames...
    I love the floral pattern in your closeup picture -- might be a good one to use to practice FMQ -- do a quilt sandwich with a nice plain fabric as backing, and FMQ following the pattern in the print. Use a contrasting thread in the bobbin, so that the backing side is really your finished work.

It's really a rather odd print, isn't it. A big flowy skirt maybe?
    Cathy

Wow..how did you come across 20 yrds of it? I looks like hankies to me. Sweet print.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I really like your fabric. It sounds like you could do several quilts with it. What about a whole cloth quilt. There was someone on the board that made a log cabin type quilt with fabric that had a border like this. I am sure you will get lots of ideas from people on this board.

Blog Entries
    stack and whack was my first idea also... very pretty
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

You could look up the pattern that uses old hankies to make butterflies. I have one of those started using a block print for my butterflies. on your thrift store deal.
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

Pillows for the sofa.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Stack and whack is a great idea, and you have lots to back it too! I have some big pieces from a friend who cleaned out - one is 15 yards (it's a floral - pink roses on a navy background). I have been thinking about using it - I think stack and whack it will be!!! I even have the ruler ...

Thanks for the many ideas. Since I have so much of this stuff I may try one of each.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I look at that fabric as being basically 2 different prints.
    A flowery one and a blue one.
    You could cut out the blue centres, and cut the floral into pieces and use them to in two totally different quilts, introducing other fabrics like white, green and pink.

You could use the printed borders as frames and use the middle fabric in quilts, you could cut the printed borders and use them as borders, you could try broderie perse. You could make pincushions, needle cases, chemo caps, cosmetic bags, tote bags, beach bags. You could use them as backing and applique something in the middle. You could make a summer skirt or caftan or cut it into strips and make a little jacket. You could make potholders, place mats, hot pads, or a table runner. You could introduce other fabrics from your stash and come up with a ton more ideas. Have fun with it!
    Nancy

Just keep sewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
    I look at that fabric as being basically 2 different prints.
    A flowery one and a blue one.
    You could cut out the blue centres, and cut the floral into pieces and use them to in two totally different quilts, introducing other fabrics like white, green and pink.
    This is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
    You could use the printed borders as frames and use the middle fabric in quilts, you could cut the printed borders and use them as borders, you could try broderie perse. You could make pincushions, needle cases, chemo caps, cosmetic bags, tote bags, beach bags. You could use them as backing and applique something in the middle. You could make a summer skirt or caftan or cut it into strips and make a little jacket. You could make potholders, place mats, hot pads, or a table runner. You could introduce other fabrics from your stash and come up with a ton more ideas. Have fun with it!
    Thank you for the great ideas.

Blog Entries
    I recently made dinner napkins--sew two together, turn, and stitch around the edge. We've been using them a lot!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

How about a 4 patch pansy. There have been several photos on this site. It is like a Stack n Whack but done with four squares instead. Instructions were found on Connecting Threads website. Have fun !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Another idea is to cut the individual "tiles" apart and use alternate blocks of a coordinating fabric with killer quilting. But, a stack and whack is my favorite so I use it whenever I can.

I'd do the stack & whack on one side and use the remainder for the backing fabric....and use a coordinating color from the fabric for the borders, sashing and binding. It would be beautiful.

I'd cut them apart, hem them, and use them for hankies or bandanas.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here's another one...MSQC. Has a tute called exploding squares---I think that's the name...anyway looks like square in a square..using these as the centers....solid as the other part...maybe set on point........20 yds..wow. Have fun whatever you do....

I see all different ideas with this fabric but my favorite are the stack and whack and the "hankie" butterflies.

Pretty! Stack and whack comes to mind .ooh wait a min....20 yards? Wow...it's pretty enough to just make a quilt from it by a solid border to pick up lighter color from it. And quilt it as is! Then make shams from it for bed.
    Last edited by nwm50; 05-31-2014 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Adding on more words
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Blog Entries
    Here's my intake on this fabric: shoulder wrap, 2 of them make wrap skirt, pants, panels for quilting, one lady had great idea, stack/whack, frame them, and wall plaques, blouse,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast