Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do With This?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    How big is the piece you have?

Maybe use it as a wide band in one of those wide band/strip quilts?

Use it as the center strip/band and coordinate for the rest of the pieces.
    The piece is very small. It's only about 30" wide and maybe 12" to 14" tall. There's not a selvedge to be seen anywhere. So even though there are several of the little pictures in it, there's not much width/length to it at all.
    Potentially that's a huge piece when you start fussy cutting in that you can get a lot of pieces from it. Sometimes the prints lend themselves very well to it, and sometimes they merge all too much to fussy cut easily. Yours looks like it may work out well.

You could do a child's quilt or a lovely small lap quilt for yourself! Try the chalk route and see what works best before cutting.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I think you should send it to me!!!! OK, just kidding... really...

Fussy cutting would lose to much of this adorable fabric. I agree, wait and let it stew for a while, but definitely use it as close to whole as possible. It's absolutely charming.

Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper
    I'd go with it as a full horizontal width, no cutting. then I would add other horizontal borders to get the height and then add framing borders.
    That's what I would do and I would go easy on the colors for the borders. Lots of different fabrics in different colors for the borders would detract from this sweet piece.

Use as a center!

I made a children's quilt by cutting as many 'squares' round the patterns as I could, not worrying what size they were, then arranged them in three columns approximately the same length/width with various coloured sashing between to even the columns and widths up, followed by borders that brought all the colours together.
    With such a delightful fabric, you want to get as much out of it as possible.
    Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Now that is the cuteist fabric, I think if it were me I would fussy cut it and make different size blocks and go from there.

I would leave it whole and frame it with borders!

Make a great quilt for a little girl with fussy cuts.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't cut it. I'd add borders to it to get the size you want. I think if you cut it, it'd ruin the integrity of the piece and the gorgeous pattern.

Personally, I'd want to show it off as much as I could!

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Use individual motifs for applique.

Blog Entries
    I think there would be too much waste if you fussy cut it. Either use it horizontally and build up the top and bottom with lots of different designs such as flying geese on top/bottom, then a layer of HST's and built it until you like the size of the quilt to add borders all around. Or put it away until inspiration strikes you:-)

Too cute! I wouldn't want to cut it.

Can you make a few panels out of it then choose bright colors for borders around the panels? You could also cut out individually and put borders to make them into squares. You could also make a panel with borders as a wall piece. I hope you show pictures when you complete your project.

Happy "Sewing"!!!

pretty fabric but i have no ideas so sorry can't help

How about fussy cutting and then use an alternate block with coordinating colors. You could use a pinwheel or snoball block or something like that. It is very cute fabric, I agree with others don't get in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    I would never cut into this piece of fabric. The only way I would use it would be for a pillow, pillow case or the center of a quilt with some other design (square or triangles around it) then choose a quilting design from the fabric. I have a piece of fabric with cute designs and I will never cut it up. It is beautiful as is, just needs embellishments.

It is totally adorable!!! Think I'd do what someone already suggested which is to use it like a cheater panel and just add whatever you want around the outside. I'd have a tough time cutting into it!

Blog Entries
    I think the fussy cut and then machine applique to a block. You might need some alternative blocks to make a throw size out of it!! Be sure and share pictures when you are done :D

Super Member ChildoftheUniverse's Avatar
    :thumbup:

How about using it as the center and working around with other fabrics and making a cute apron to hang and look at in your kitchen?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
    Howdy y'all :-D

I was given this adorable piece of antique fabric. Isn't it just the cutest thing? But obviously, there's nowhere near enough of it to make a quilt with. Maybe a wall hanging or something? Should I fussy cut around each cute little print and mount it onto something or other, or what? Any ideas? I really would like to make SOMETHING with it, but don't have any clue exactly what. Help!

Donna :roll:
    Fussy cut and do a medallion quilt. That's what they used to do in the olden times. Put it in the center and showcase it.

Blog Entries
    I would use it as a center block/rectangle in the center and then add either strips or blocks to make it a childs quilt. You could use the colors in the fabric for your blocks/strips.

Lovely fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I would use the fabric like it was a cheater panel and border it out to the size you want. Maybe using some reto reproduction fabric. Just love your piece of fabric:)
    Ditto!!! It would look great as the center with borders all around
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would use it as a panel which you can make blocks all around it. Too pretty to cut up.
    IdahoSandy

If you have a place for it, you could mat and frame it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast