Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

I would give it to him - my hubby and I have been married for 25 years - and those years were pretty bleak in the beginning - sometimes we gave gifts alot of times we didn't I always said as long as we were together happy and healthy that is all I needed - he agreed. Never got hung up on the gift thing. But my hubby likes to surprise me with gifts during other times of the year which can be very fun when you are not expecting it. When I give something to hubby and he doesn't give back - I always tell him that I get such joy in making something for him and giving to him that I don't need a gift in return. I know this sounds very Hallmark but its really true. I am sure he will love it and you will love giving it to him - what a nice surprise.

Give him the quilt,tell him it is something you have been making for a while and have now finished it.

Blog Entries
    yeah being healthy, happy, secure, with family are the most important gifts but unexpected gifts are the fun. Take the fun out of something and it's not fun for no one.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Tell him that it is too late, that you already made him something. Add that if he wants to give you something, it can be something he makes or a service he provides... he doesn't have to spend money. You don't have to tell him it's a quilt. Telling him now will avoid his being uncomfortable when he sees the quilt and he has nothing for you.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I would tell him "let's make a deal that we each will make something for the other". Because if he really does feel bad when he doesn't get you anything this gives him an opportunity to "make" you a gift - it could be something as simple as a home cooked meal; a complete auto detailing of your car; or something else that requires manual labor. One year my daughter gave me a coupon book that she made containing coupons for cleaning house, cooking a meal, making my favorite dessert, etc.
    This is what I was thinking, I also think the New Year's Eve or it could be Christmas Eve idea is good. It also depends on if there are others there when you exchange gifts or just the two of you. Some embarrassment comes from appearing "thoughtless" in front of others, then you have to explain...yada yada. I like the gift exchange idea, and this way it is an exchange which prevents him from feeling bad or awkward. Just tell him, we don't have to go out and buy each other gifts we can exchange meaningful gifts of time. Let him give you a few ideas and include one with the quilt or pick something you know he will appreciate-a back rub, foot rub, a "you pick the menu and the movie night at home", etc.
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

I agree with giving it to him but just not on Christmas

Give it to him. Christmas is about giving and the giver gets so much more out of it.
    I,m sure he will be overjoyed.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Power Poster
    Is he saying this so he can surprise you with something? 2 weeks before Christmas sounds fishy to me. If he is serious. then wrap the present and sign the tag to to " Hubby's name and your name from Santa."
    SueDor

I would give it to him and just let him know its for "anyway day" and not just Christmas. He will love it!

Give it to him!

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by ABCQuilt View Post
    I have made my husband a quilt for Christmas. Yesterday he informed me that we can't afford Christmas gifts for each other this year. I didn't tell him I have made something for him so I'm not sure what to do. In years past I have given him anniversary or valentines day gifts and he has forgotten to get me something and he feels so bad! So should I give the quilt to him or should I use it as a gift next year? What would you do?
    .Wrap it and add a note------------next time tell me in January that we won't be exchanging gifts.

OR you could just put it on your bed and forget it's a gift.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Junior Member thevintageseamstress's Avatar
    wrap it up pretty and put both your names on it and then write that it is from Santa, thats what I would do.
    Did you say you dropped the pie!

Quote Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
    Why not just leave it out Christmas eve and act as if you know nothing! Santa must have left it for us...feign ignorance! You will both use it most likely so be really excited about YOUR new quilt, you could even ask him "Did you do this, after telling me not to get you anything?" If he has a sense of humor he will enjoy the playacting, and have a new quilt! Linda
    I like this solution!!

I would give it to him. As someone mentioned tell him it is to keep you both warm. Whatever you do, I'm sure he will know it was made and given with love.

Give it joyfully!
    Linda

Give it and tell him you had already made it all from your stash so it cost nothing but love and time. Besides you can both snuggle under it.
    Anna Quilts

You could always give it to him "just because." That will save you from having to wrap it.
    ~hannajo~
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

Blog Entries
    I do think you should give it to him. It was made for him, and he is the one who should receive it. Probably the opportunity will present itself that will be the perfect time, and you will know when that is. If all else fails, schedule a time for you both to watch a meaningful Christmas movie, and tell him you want to sit with him on the sofa and snuggle. Then grab the quilt to cover you both. Ask him if he likes your newest creation, and then tell him that you really made it for him, but that you intend to share it with him.
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
    I like your way of thinking! That's what I would do if it was me.
    I agree that a new years gift would be best. If it is agreed no gifts by both it should be honored. If not the guilt and bad feelings could taint the whole day.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Give him the quilt. The physical aspect of the quilt is not so expensive -- it's the time and love you put into it. If he wants to reciprocate , suggest the "coupon" approach so he can also give you time and love. For instance, he could cook supper one night when you are really into your quilting and want to be freed up from the interruption. Oh, and take every chance you get to cuddle under his quilt together.
    Last edited by Cheshirecatquilter; 12-08-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add a thought

I agree with Joyce 888. ""tell him "let's make a deal that we each will make something for the other"".
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I haven't read all the responses so if I am repeating what someone else said sorry. But why can't the quilt be for both of you. If you both sleep in the same bed wouldn't part of the quilt be on your side of the bed. You both will get use out of it.You could wrap it and put it under the tree to both of you. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I would lay it out under the tree with a note from Santa to the both of you, I think were all feeling the pinch this Christmas, I've gone back to making things for people that I know will appreciate it. I think he will love the fact that you made it and placed it under the tree for both of you. Christmas is supposed to be about love of our family not about how many presents are under the tree.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    Don't give him the quilt. He's not giving you a Christmas gift.

Funny!!!!!!!!!!
    Bernie

It was made love then it should be gifted with love. I say on Christmas morning. Then think of a small project (like for me putting up my cork and dry erase board) for him to do for you, in case he feels the need to do something.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast