Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what would you do?

Well if! i was the luck 1 i would rather have the lap quilts so maybe u could do what they each like and they would get more use out of them

Love your idea of quilted lap quilts! I think they would, too.

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I like the idea of coordinated lap quilts. I think you are over thinking, I don't think your friends will compare quilts, they will just be thrilled and grateful!
    I agree completely. Also, my DH of 41 years is always colder than I am so he puts another quilt on top of our king size quilt HIS side of the bed. I have a friend who makes 2 separate, smaller quilts for her king size bed, one for her, one for him.

Lap or twin quilts is a great idea. I made some for us and at night we both use them on our queen bed; that way if one get up and wants to cover up and sit up, we just take it with us and not distrub the other but stay warm too. One big quilt would be hard to manage and leave the other cold and asleep.

Transplanted from West Branch Iowa; now Wichita Kansas
    very gracious ideas, and fixes
    Rose Mary Phelps

I would make the quilt and make 2 individual throws for the other couple; that way it will be different with purpose?

delma

Sounds like a good idea to me...I am with the others and don't think your friends would be offended at all...
    Kitty

Another option for a King would be to quilt it in sections, then just sew your sections together. You could even add your borders after doing the center in sections. It's pretty easy actually, & much easier than doing it all in one big quilt...
    Nancy/NC...
    "Because Nice Matters"
    "Choose To Be Happy"

Since I just celebrated my 50th last month, I would say two lap quilts. It could be more personalized for each person

Blog Entries
    You could just add a wide drop panel on three sides when you add the binding to make it appear larger. Or go with the other good ideas listed here.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I like the idea of coordinated lap quilts. I think you are over thinking, I don't think your friends will compare quilts, they will just be thrilled and grateful!
    I concur with willferg...they will love whatever you make as you had them in mind.

How about a beautiful beyond belief bed runner rather than a whole quilt?

That shounds like a great idea then then they would each have their own blankey and it would be more personalized for his and hers. That's a very thoughtful thing to do.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

I agree...the lap quilts will be much appreciated.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

My personal opinion: Your idea of throws (lap quilts) is perfect!! They will love them.

Blog Entries
    Go with the lap quilts but make them obviously a set with some theme, fabric or color in common. Mama (a child of the depression and a trained nurse) instilled in us the necessity for planning ahead even if (especially if) facing tough realities is involved. Here's what I see in the case of a 50th anniversary quilt gift.

There is a real possibility that one mate might have to be hospitalized, rehabbed, etc. and the other serves a supporting role. I can see the love when both are using lap quilts in such a scenario that obviously go together. That's just one thought beyond regular home use down the road. It isn't always pleasant to think like this but I have been grateful to Mama MANY times that she trained us to face (and plan ahead for) the possibility of difficult realities.
    Yes, I vote for a lap quilt "set" for the lucky couple!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

I think the lap quilts are a bit more personal. I'm sure they would love them.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

For our friends 50th I made a very special wall hanging that was specific to their marriage and our friendship. Each block represented a special meaning or event. It wasn't large like a quilt, but it holds special pride of place in their home.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

If you decide to make the king-size quilt, maybe a double wedding quilt? think about doing what I plan to do:
    Make the entire quilt top, then put 1/3 of the batting in the center section (with all of the lining) and quilt it. You would only have to roll 1/3 of the top and lining, so it wouldn't be thick. Then put 1/3 of the other batting on the right side, butted up against the other batting in the center. You could use the batting tape that is for joining batting, or not. Quilt the right side. Then turn your quilt around to the left side, which will be the right side now. Add the batting and quilt this side. Then, you are through quilting and don't have to pay for a long arm. I hope you can understand this. I made it up, so there is no "tute" on it yet!

Myself I would rather have the His and Hers throws!!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2