Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do with this? >

What would you do with this?

What would you do with this?

Old 03-02-2020, 05:33 PM

Default What would you do with this?

I picked up some fat quarters at an estate sale (which I posted about in another thread). At the same time was asked if I wanted any unfinished projects. At first I said no because I have a lot of unfinished things of my own. I felt a little guilty about that answer and thought that I should try to finish one of them for them if I can and it would be the nice thing to do. This is what was given to try to complete. There are 9 panels. 17 inches by 17 inches. There are 10 17x17 panels with no design yet. There is some fabric left over for the designs that may (or may not be enough to finish 10 more squares). Some were cut and look ready to make another block, but just need to be shaped. The background is wool. I'm looking through the Celtic quilt design books that were included, but haven't found the inspiration for this quilt yet.
Any ideas on what may have been the vision for these?
How would you finish these off?
What batting would you use?
What would you use as the backing?
Should I FMQ some of this?
Looking forward to hearing your ideas. Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails img_2085.jpg   img_2084.jpg  
Old 03-02-2020, 05:43 PM

Maybe pillows.!
Old 03-02-2020, 05:59 PM

Those are really quite lovely! You could easily put them together as a wall hanging, or make a few more for a throw quilt. I wouldn't add any sashing, I think that would detract from the lovely applique designs. Same for the quilting - just something simple.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

if you want to make a quilt with them and don't have enough fabric to do something with all the squares, just leave some squares plain and do quilt design in them instead of applique. all would go together anyway. just a thought.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:21 PM

I'm wondering if the "There is some fabric left over for the designs" is bias cut? Could it be for piping for around the edges of the pillow? Maybe there was one 'front' that was misplaced and the other plain pieces are for the backs of pillows?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:23 AM

These are really nice. You could simply put the 9 together as a large wallhanging. Do you have enough of the print to use as a thin sashing? Perhaps you could pick one of the colors in that print for sashing and a border. I would use a lightweight cotton batting and hand quilt around the appliqued motifs. Handquilting wool is easier than cotton. I don't know what I'd do with the plain cut wool blocks. Maybe use some as the backs of pillows? Or share them with friends?
Old 03-03-2020, 04:55 AM

Those are beautiful, but I have no advice to offer you.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:25 AM

Wow, someone put a lot of work into those.

You could easily make a small lap quilt, 50 x 50 with what you've got or put the plain blocks in between and make a large quilt and FMQ on the plain blocks. (Although, I've never FMQ'd on wool...if I understand correctly the fabric is wool?) Or, you could find another fabric in a print that you like that goes with the celtic blocks and make the alternate blocks in that to make a big quilt. Or make pillows...that's a lot of pillows. Or hand off the whole thing to a guild that makes charity quilts and let them work with it if it becomes something you just don't want to worry about.
Lots of options.

Watson
Old 03-03-2020, 05:49 AM

Pillows - I wonder if that's what was planned. I'll have to find out if they might have matched someone's decor at the time. I also found two triangles (hanging on the wall in the pic) and a bunch of wool triangles (one sewn to make a bigger triangle - shown in pic as well.) This is a fun project.
Attached Thumbnails img_2087.jpg  
Old 03-03-2020, 05:56 AM

The fabric seems to be a wool. I've been going through some Celtic designs and I think it would be nice to fill in some of the circled portions at least as one way to tack it down if I do a quilt. I think a quilt would be nicer. Yes - it would be a lot of pillows.