Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Manufacturers >

Thread Manufacturers

Thread Manufacturers

Old 03-03-2020, 08:56 AM
art

Default Thread Manufacturers

Does anyone know who manufactures Missouri Star Thread? I have several of their 50 wt cotton threads in my 'cart' ready to purchase. They are basically 1/2 price. I got to thinking maybe it wasn't that great of a thread...Has anyone used it & how does it compare to Aurifil? Thanks so much!
Old 03-03-2020, 10:17 AM

At half price I would give it a try. You may have to clean your machine a little more often if it's a bit fuzzy.
Peace, Brenda
Old 03-04-2020, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I don't see any difference between their thread and Aurifil to be honest. I like and use both.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:37 AM

I am definitely not a thread snob, so I can't give any kind of detailed comparison. But I bought a spool of their thread on sale and my long arm did seem to like it (better than the cheap thread that kept breaking!). It did shed quite a bit, but nothing that can't be cleaned up. I have never used aurifil
Old 03-04-2020, 05:46 AM

My experience has been mixed. I have received free spools with orders and found it ok for piecing but thicker than Aurifil. Aurifil is 2 strand (ply?) and I believe MSQC is 3 although both 50 weight. Because of the price I ordered a large cone of grey for piecing. The first one, no complaints but the second one I was having problems with skipped stitches ( last thing I tried when trouble shooting of course but as soon as thread was changed the problem was gone). I have been finishing it off by using it as bobbin thread only. Breakage about the same as Aurifil but much worse than other 50 wt cotton I have tried such as Mettler and Guterman. One of the free spools had multiple breaks......not from going through the machine, but rather separated on the bobbin.

bottom line is I now use Aurifil for all piecing and even FMQ if I can get a colour that works. My biggest complaint about Aurifil is a lot of shops don’t stock it, and those that do don’t have a great selection. I haven’t had much luck picking colours on line.

i am fairly new to quilting and have not tried a lot of the thread mfgs that others here use.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
My experience has been mixed. I have received free spools with orders and found it ok for piecing but thicker than Aurifil. Aurifil is 2 strand (ply?) and I believe MSQC is 3 although both 50 weight. Because of the price I ordered a large cone of grey for piecing. The first one, no complaints but the second one I was having problems with skipped stitches ( last thing I tried when trouble shooting of course but as soon as thread was changed the problem was gone). I have been finishing it off by using it as bobbin thread only. Breakage about the same as Aurifil but much worse than other 50 wt cotton I have tried such as Mettler and Guterman. One of the free spools had multiple breaks......not from going through the machine, but rather separated on the bobbin.

bottom line is I now use Aurifil for all piecing and even FMQ if I can get a colour that works. My biggest complaint about Aurifil is a lot of shops don’t stock it, and those that do don’t have a great selection. I haven’t had much luck picking colours on line.

i am fairly new to quilting and have not tried a lot of the thread mfgs that others here use.
If you are liking a particular brand of thread....most major companies have thread cards that you can buy....this are made of actual threads of all their colors.....I have several of them....I have RA (robinson Anton) for my embroidery and Superior cards for so fine and OMNI...I may have a few others.....they are really helpful to have and usually only cost a few dollars....but sometimes are hard to find. I usually have had to order them from the manufacturer

'/
Old 03-04-2020, 08:38 AM
art

Default Thread Manufacturers

Thanks everyone for your feedback, especially Catitude. Your replies really helped me!
Old 03-04-2020, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I have several spools of MS thread. I found it slubby in spots. It sews fine on my vintage Singer machine but not so good on my newer machines.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:59 PM
art

Thanks Onebyone!
Old 03-04-2020, 06:15 PM
mkc

Art,

Did you happen to see this response by Patrice on piecing thread? What thread do you like for piecing?

It's not a 50 wt - she says it's close to 60 wt, but it's an awesome price if you're shopping for piecing thread.

I do love my Aurifil, though....