Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what would you do with these fabrics?

what would you do with these fabrics?

I found these two fabrics at a thrift shop. I'm not sure of the original intended purpose for them--decor, clothing, ??? They appear to be cotton and not really heavier than good quilting cotton. Anyone recognize them? There are no markings on the selvages.

Anyway, what would you make with them? The African print has beautiful copper metallic accents. I'm not into clothing and have never made a handbag. I stick mostly with wall hangings and quilts, although I might tackle a bag some day.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marcia

Blog Entries
    I would use the fabrics whole as the center of a quilt and use borders (Pieced or strips) to make the focus fabric pop. Very nice pieces. Be sure to post photos of what you do

I definitely would not cut them. Probably make wholecloth quilts from them.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Love the 1st one! You could applique tumbling blocks or any block randomly in the large blank space. That would be so Cool! And I would get Feline Fanatic quilt it. She is Awesome!

The first thing that popped into my head, was old-fashioned head scarves or shawls (depending upon the size), folded on the diagonal.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Make a quilt.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

How about using them as backings ... and do the front of the quilt with coordinated fabrics, and a design that keeps to the same mood of the yardage on the back? Would be like having two quilts in one!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Power Poster
    [QUOTE=QuiltE;6245107]How about using them as backings ... and do the front of the quilt with coordinated fabrics, and a design that keeps to the same mood of the yardage on the back? Would be like having two quilts in one![/QUOTE What she said.

Blog Entries
    I couldn't cut them up so I see whole cloth quilts here. Both pieces are great and some beautiful quilting would make them awesome.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

This type of fabric was popular for a short time a few years ago and was meant to make gored type circle skirts. You cut out each piece curving the bottom then sew several triangles together. Each yard would do two gores. You could use it to make a round table topper to keep the look of the piece if you have enough to make enough pieces to complete the circle or design a table runner. Both pieces are great, especially like the first one.
    jackie

hem the edges and use it as a tablecloth

I like mostt of the others would not cut the fabrics. I would use them in the center of the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    I would use the fabrics whole as the center of a quilt and use borders (Pieced or strips) to make the focus fabric pop. Very nice pieces. Be sure to post photos of what you do
    I agree. Don't cut them.

I especially like the first fabric, and think it would make a beautiful bag or throw pillow.

I would cut out large squares (10 or 12") out of the interesting parts of the fabrics--the African print I would then add to my African fabric plastic tub and the interesting houses would go into my novelty fabrics. Then I would take the rest-- most of the brown and the pink and cut them into 2.5", 2" and 1.5" strips and throw it into my strips bags.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
    This type of fabric was popular for a short time a few years ago and was meant to make gored type circle skirts. You cut out each piece curving the bottom then sew several triangles together. Each yard would do two gores. You could use it to make a round table topper to keep the look of the piece if you have enough to make enough pieces to complete the circle or design a table runner. Both pieces are great, especially like the first one.
    It's interesting to know that these fabrics were meant to go into skirts. But that's not what I will do

I hadn't thought about using them as backings. I'll consider that and all the other suggestions. Thank you!
    Marcia

Gorgeous fabrics! The ideas are great and it will be fun to see what you decide to do with them!

Mail the top one to me and then get the book City Quilts for the city scape one!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA View Post
    It's interesting to know that these fabrics were meant to go into skirts. But that's not what I will do

I hadn't thought about using them as backings. I'll consider that and all the other suggestions. Thank you!
    Why not make a full circle "skirt" as the middle of your quilt top? This is what the fabric was meant for, and I think it would be lovely. Would you have enough to do that? Add coordinating fabric around the edges to get it the size you want. The center might need some applique also. Just an idea.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by hairquilt View Post
    Love the 1st one! You could applique tumbling blocks or any block randomly in the large blank space. That would be so Cool! And I would get Feline Fanatic quilt it. She is Awesome!
    Aww, hairquilt that is so sweet of you to say!

For that first one, I would leave it as a whole cloth. That brown solid in the center would be great for some very geometric quilting desings to mimic the graphics in the print which are fabulous. Great thrift shop score on those.

I was tickled to find these fabrics--only $3 for both of them, too! I haven't made any decisions yet about what to make with them but I knew I had to buy them
    Marcia

I like the first one. Maybe find some African themed fabrics and make a quilt and use that as a backing.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Beautiful fabrics and great score! If you do decide to cut the fabrics, I would join the two halves of the circle and use it as a center medallion. Then find coordinating fabrics for a pieced border.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Reb
    They appear to be mirror images. I'd check out Paula Nadelstern's kaleidoscope method. That is if you can bear to cut them at all.

Very interesting fabric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast