Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do with this top? >

What would you do with this top?

What would you do with this top?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 AM

My Mom had similar experience, had a quilt top she just called the Ugly Quilt. Finally finished it up, and entered in the County Fair. Much to her surprise, she received a champion ribbon on it. We decided it wasn't as UGLY as we first thought. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I mean the Judge..
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM

First, I would take off the mustard. Then, I would take the stars blocks apart, and scatter them instead of sewing them into rows. It would be a lot of work, but well worth it. It's a rainy day project and could also be done in the evening while "listenting" to TV It would be a shame to just abandon all the work you have put into it. The stars are beautiful. There are so many colors available these days for the borders. Alex Anderson's books are helpful.
She's a star person, and so am I. You did a wonderful job on your stars. Good luck. GiGi
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I would take apart what I need to to get rid of the mustard yellow and rework it to a smaller size or use a different border that compliments the stars and is a bit smaller.The stars are great!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by MdmSew'n'Sew View Post
I would trim back the mustard, so that it will finish about 1", then add a print border, maybe a star print with a little bit of mustard, also other colors from center stars, it will bring it up to today, but keep the flavor of the original ... or use it as the back of another quilt as is.
This is the way I would go too - since ther are mustard blocks showing in the quilt it just seems like the right thing to do - you could even use the part you cut off to applique in the wide borders between the stars
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM

i would quilt it anyway! if you dont like it, donate it!
i see feathers between the rows!
katz
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM

I agree with the ones who've said that if you hate it now, you'll probably always hate it! (I have a couple of projects like that)

I would take out the star blocks and set them with alternating blocks, either plain or pieced, and get a nice throw out of it or maybe a full-sized bed cover.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 AM
joy

Applique something on those mustard coloured strips to break the stars being in a row....
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 AM

I would take out the mustard and yellow as well as the light colored strips and replace with smaller strips using some darker shade using applique or stitching with a different color thread.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 AM

I agree with all about getting rid of the mustard color. I personally can rip out seams very quickly, partly from doing it a lot, and also because I use the OLFA point cutter. Once i get the first couple of stitches out it is a matter of holding it on my lap with the outer heel of my right hand, the left pulling upwards on the seam, and my right hand just lightly tapping the open seam (still holding fabric down with heel) with the point cutter. Goes soooo quickly and have never cut through material.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 AM

I'm a little late on this idea, but what about a good fabric pen and write some of your favorite poetry in the wide sashes?