Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do with this top? >

What would you do with this top?

What would you do with this top?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM

I would make it into a charity quilt. Someone that doesn't have one will really appreciate it and you won't have to feel guilty! :O)
Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 PM

I would remove all the gold...Pick out the stitches for those blocks and replace them...won't be that hard...I know...send it to me, I'll fix it! LOL...really it looks like a quilt you want to save.

Originally Posted by debs View Post
Howdy,
This is a top I machine pieced in the early 1970's!!!!!!

It was made to fit a double bed tothe floor cover at the time & the yellow & gold fabrics were added to assist it fitting in with the bedroom decor, colors ambiance!!!!!!!!!

Well, now it just doesn't work at all for me! Not happy with the colors or why on earth the strips are so wide, not sure what I was going to put in strips that wide, I guess quilting designs.
I really hate to rip out all the seams, but doubt I would ever do anything with it as it is. It would remain an UFO!

So I'm open for suggestions, I forgot to measure it, but it is big. I also pieced a backing of light green fabric for it.

All machine sewn even the blocks.

I hate that I found it this weekend & had forgotten it for so many years!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 PM

I would definately get rid of the gold border and use a new color. like the idea of cutting down the middle of the wide strips, adjusting thier size and use a smaller strip of another color to put it back together. Those stars areally pretty.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by karate lady View Post
I would definately get rid of the gold border and use a new color. like the idea of cutting down the middle of the wide strips, adjusting thier size and use a smaller strip of another color to put it back together. Those stars areally pretty.
I REALLY like that idea!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 AM

You might take off the gold borders and then split the wide plain ones (in half or even thirds) and put in something you like better, or that matches what you already have. It would use up that white, not require as much re-doing and that gold could be used elsewhere. (It does not seem to go with the rest of it?) Even the gold in the middle (at the top of your photo) would be minimized.
Funny how tastes change, isn't it?

I'll be interested in seeing what you do with it!

Sounds like others agree with this idea...
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 AM

Oh, the nostalgia.......that hideous border color is that darling of the 1970s.......Harvest Gold. Remember the vogue for kitchens decorated in Harvest Gold and Avocado Green. Major appliances were available in those colors. Whatever you decide to do.......DITCH that border.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

good luck to you. years ago i made a king size quilt with different blocks set on point with filler white squares. but the white fabric was stretchy. i'd just started quilting and couldn't afford much. that thing set for yrs and yrs. i finally put it into my charity stuff and maybe someone else will rip out all the pieced blocks and make something else with them. not me!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Banned

If I were doing it and wanted to save as much as pssible I would'

Take off and out the mustard color. Add another color in place of those mustard colored ones in the center
Add a couple borders in colors that would coordinate. Then in the solid strips in the interior of the quilt I would quilt a wide cable border and then repeat the same shape in the outer border.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Well - no quilt police please, if you are attached emotionally to the stars I would cut off the solid yellow strips about 1/4" towards the yellow and play with a different placement. But, it the stars do not "float your boat" offer it as a freebie on the board, and let someone else rip it apart.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM

Great idea, someone else will feel like they got a great deal and will dream of the possiblities, when they buy it.

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
good luck to you. years ago i made a king size quilt with different blocks set on point with filler white squares. but the white fabric was stretchy. i'd just started quilting and couldn't afford much. that thing set for yrs and yrs. i finally put it into my charity stuff and maybe someone else will rip out all the pieced blocks and make something else with them. not me!