Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you want in a sewing/quilting machine cabinet? >

What would you want in a sewing/quilting machine cabinet?

What would you want in a sewing/quilting machine cabinet?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by GwynR
I would never put my machine away either. Just put a cover on it.
And a cat or five. The reason the machine will be put away each time she's done with it is that the place the cabinet will occupy (and that the current one does occupy) is a major sun-spot for the cats - right in front of a south facing window.

Originally Posted by GwynR
I saw one with the drawers to the left on rollers so you could pull that out and have a small cutting mat on top. I loved that feature! A narrow tall slot for large rulers would make me happy. Somehow, everywhere I put them in my sewing room, they just don't "fit", and get lost! The smaller ones are no problem.
One of the reasons she wants the return on the right is that she uses it for a small cutting mat. I'll have to ask her about ruler storage, though she has a lot of that sort of stuff in her cutting table (along with storage for large cutting mats and the like.)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
I actually enjoy a large space to the right of my machine, As I finish sewing something small, that's where I place it, plus scissors, etc.
Good point! I'll have to point that out to her and see if she's comfortable using the area that way.

Originally Posted by clem55
One thing we learned about the drop extension area, make sure you use really good strong hinges, and have good support flanges. My cabinet is oak, and hubby needs to change those things, that oak is heavy!!

We learned this when I made her cutting table. It took a long time and a fair bit of work to get the extension solid. This time I'm going for better materials but I also think I'm going to use a different brace mechanism - one that's more vertical than horizontal (I should have thought of this on the cutting table but I _assumed_ the piano hinge would solidify things. Wrong!)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Here is a
site of amazing custom sewing cabinets. You might get some good ideas here. www.eddycrest.com
Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 PM

The site that Courtepointe mentioned is fabulous! I love the table from that site. Definitely something to look at for ideas!