Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is wrong with me??? >

What is wrong with me???

What is wrong with me???

Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 PM

I hear you...I have out of town family coming in and will have to clean the dining room of all sewing....we will need the table to eat!!! I am thinking of hand sewing and maybe some knitting, Happy Holidays
Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Cyn

Happy Holidays! Think how good it will feel when you get back to sewing!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 PM

I always keep a hand sewing project around so I have something to do when I can't get to my sewing space. Like paper piecing hexs for GFG.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by pstoner
Enjoy at least you will be spending the holiday with your children. We have four children and five grandchildren and will not be seeing any of them. It will be a very sad and lonely day.
Don't be sad. Think about how much fun it will be for them to be building their individual families...For me, this is important too. My kids have strong ties to each other. Now that they are having families of their own, they need to freedom to build those same connections for my grandchildren. If I don't see them on Christmas, it is a small sacrifice to make in the larger scheme of things. I want Benjamin and Brianna, Aidan and Kennedy, Daniel and his parents and each of my future grandchildren to have strong ties to their personal families as well as their extended families.

Our family decided to follow the Catholic tradition of Christmas being 12 days long. It begins on Christmas Eve and ends on January 6th with Epiphany. For the most part, I will get to see everyone at some time during those 12 days (my kids rarely go more than a week without a visit together.) December 25th is an important day, but it is not the be all end all day. The season is one of love and giving. What does it matter if I see them on the 25th or the 30th. Not only lthat, this gives me almost 2 weeks extra to get stuff finished.

Christmas with just me would be just as nice as Christmas Day with all of them. I enjoy it either way because I decided to enjoy it either way. Listen to the music, watch those old movies, read a new Christmas book, call a friend, charge up that telephone for when the kids call. Have them send you pictures or make you a scrapbook of their Christmas holiday to share with you. Go to the soup kitchen in your town and help out. Make one of those super large cupcakes and sing happy birthday to Jesus as loud as you can. Make hot chocolate and stir it with a candy cane. Smile, light a fire, wrap up in your favorite quilt and listen to the Christmas music. Light a candle in your window or set out some luminarias.

Get yourself a journal and write out the stories of each of your children's first Christmas's. Write about your first Christmas as a married couple, the Christmas with the most snow, rain, fun, sadness, whatever. Make the day one of joy and wonder and the day will be wonderful.

Then remember, the best thing about Christmas is: If this year it isn't the best, it will be back in 12 months and you can give it a go again.

Merry Christmas, Gwyn
Old 12-24-2010, 03:26 AM

Gwyn, you continue to amaze me with your grace and wisdom. Hugs to you and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:48 AM

I have two more potholders!! Then done.. Merry Christmas!!