Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is wrong! >

What is wrong!

What is wrong!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
I'll be happy to never see another 7/8 measurement again lol
That last sentence caught my eye.
Do you have a name of the star block you are working on? Sometime if 'we' know the block, the questions and answers are clearer.
When I am working with 7/8 measurement, I will round it up (3 7/8 = 4), then when I have the HST sewn I trim the square HST to 3 1/2. BECAUSE I almost never can get the right 'scant' 1/4 seam when working with 7/8.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 AM

Sounds like this might be made with a lot of triangles? The first thought that came to mind was the triangles not being cut to correct size - thus finishing out a smaller size than expected.

I feel your pain though. Been there a few times - sometimes because of the foot on my machine and sometimes just because I figured the measurements wrong in my head. I agree with stepping back for a while and coming back to it. It's easier to think of a solution when you're not full-blown frustrated.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 AM

I have sewed on many different makes of sewing machines. The only one I found that the 1/4 in. was true was my Bernina. And its a scant 1/4 in. I love it.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

As long as all your seams are the same your finished quilt will be fine.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 AM

Ahhhhhhhh. Ok all together now. Happy dance happy dance happy dance!!!!!!!

I fixed it. My star block turned out right!!!!

And I told df if he ever touches my tape I will chop his fingers off and feed them bit by bit to the cats!!!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 AM

I don't know if that will work but that's the block I've been working on. It took a couple hours last night cutting the pieces because I went so dang slow.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:31 AM

Very nice block and well done to boot! I, too, round up to the full inch and then trim my hst's to size. So not worth the aggravation to me to be that stressed over sewing. It takes a bit more time with the pressing and trimming but it's worth not having to rip, at least for me. Also press all my seams open which I find makes things line up easier as well as laying flatter.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I had the same problem of blocks not being the right size when I first started sewing 1/4" seams.
After many classes with great instructors and knowing my fabric is cut to size I learned:
1. Use thin thread in top and bobbin
2. Press my seams open or tug and press the seam to one side. Keep iron in place longer for it to do it's job.
3. Twirl intersecting seams open
4. Use a longer stitch length 2.5 and backstitch at beginning and ending.
5. Keep index finger against the left side of the foot when coming to the end of the seam. This keeps the seam from veering right.
6. Sew slow, slow enough to count each stitch until you can tell by sight the seam is perfect.
7. Hard to match seams, glue baste them then sew.

One thing I learned that has held true and it's not known by most is if you are cutting strips of fabric you have to true up the edge after the amount of cuts the width of the strip. Example: if you are cutting five strips at 2 1/2 " you have to true up the edge after cutting 3 (rounded up) strips. Pieces cut 5 inches you have to true up the fabric edge after 5 cuts and so on. This is where a lot of frustration comes from, fabric being cut just a tad off even thought it looks fine.

One thing I forgot. I guess because it has become second nature to me now. I use a clapper to flatten all my seams after pressing.
All of the above mentioned are things I do try to do, am wondering what is a clapper to flatten seams after pressing? I do know that achieving the 1/4 inch seam is something that is not that easy to end up with. Not sure why. Just a little variance along the way and there you have it. I think anyways.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Love your advice.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Hi, have a lie down. Eat some chocolate. Breathe. If you read lots of posts on this site, 1/4" feet on most machines are not really 1/4". You have to move your needle (if possible) or do like you are doing with another fabric guide. Here's a good tutorial:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html

The 1/4" foot is approximate. I have one and have to change my needle position if I change thread size or go to flannel or homespun from just quilter's cotton.

Another alternative is if your quilt is made out of just the pinwheel blocks, then go with the 12.25' ones.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:03 AM

I found out that when I used my steam iron, some of my fabric squares would shrink ! I really have no answer for you, but measure again your seams.