Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is your BEST Advice for Successful Sewing???? >
  • What is your BEST Advice for Successful Sewing????

• What is your BEST Advice for Successful Sewing????

Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 AM

Patience would be my advice. Walk softly and carry a big seam ripper. When I was younger and had a boo boo I would leave it (often for my mother to fix). Now I have no mother, I'm the fixer. Just patience.
    Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 AM
    Power Poster

Take as many quilt classes you have the chance to. I always learn something new from each one. Quilting isn't suppose to be a solitary activity all the time. Enter the local fair or quilt show. Really your quilt will look just fine hanging by all the other quilts. When sewing I go very slow and just recently started to use a longer stitch length for piecing, 3 setting. My blocks lay flat and less bulk at the seams.
    Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie
    Keep the cat out of the sewing room, no matter how much he/she cries to be w/you. Makes life easier
    This one made me laugh.

You mean that having a cat's paw under the needle, a whole cat on the blocks to be pressed, and kitty supervision while cutting is detrimental?

Naw - can't be.

Kitty holding down the stack of fabric - marking as much of it as possible with hair - doing the maximum stretch when trying to lay something out. Rearranging the blocks laid out on the floor or table. Gotta admit - sometimes they are cute!
    Old 08-26-2013, 04:52 AM
    Power Poster

Relax and realize you can never make all those quilts you downloaded the patterns for. pressing--it makes a world of difference.
    Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't be afraid to step out of you comfort zone and try new techniques. Step away from the project if you become frustrated, have a cup of tea or a glass of wine, or chocolate and allow yourself to just breathe. Seek out a mentor and be a mentor. Be proud of your accomplishments, shine when complimented and don't take it to heart when criticized for they know not the love and labor involved.
    Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
    Power Poster

I think that taking my time when audtioning the fabric has helped me produce more visually acceptable quilts in the last few years.
    Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 PM

What has worked for me: stop being goal oriented and become process oriented with a goal to finish. I used to do most everying as goal oriented. Get that quilt done. Get dinner on the table. It's like "stop and smell the roses". Now I'm more process oriented: enjoying just doing it. Today I made Pesto. It started as goal oriented. Catching myself, I turned into a process oriented project and enjoyed experimenting. It's mellowing now and get to have it for dinner.
    Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric
    What has worked for me: stop being goal oriented and become process oriented with a goal to finish. I used to do most everying as goal oriented. Get that quilt done. Get dinner on the table. It's like "stop and smell the roses". Now I'm more process oriented: enjoying just doing it. Today I made Pesto. It started as goal oriented. Catching myself, I turned into a process oriented project and enjoyed experimenting. It's mellowing now and get to have it for dinner.
    Yes! This is what I think I have done too.
    Old 08-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Take my time, enjoy the process and use the best fabric I can afford. Why waste my time on crummy fabric?
    Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM
    Power Poster

Accuracy in the prep work: Planning, cutting, PRESSING!, sewing that 1/4" seam consistently, and SQUARING my blocks. Also adding a glass of wine for relaxation does me a world of good.