Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your earliest quilt memory? >

What is your earliest quilt memory?

What is your earliest quilt memory?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 AM

My aunt used to quilt & she always had heaps of fabrics everywhere. I loved visiting her! They all were so pretty!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 AM

Sleeping at grandma's farm house under her quilts.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:35 AM

When I was very young I would visit my grandmother in the summer along with my older sister and a cousin that was about our age. My grandmother had 3 round wooden cheese boxes under her bed full of scraps, one for each of us. She wanted to teach us to quilt.I would much rather be outside playing cowboys and indians with the boys in the neighborhood. Oh my, how I wish I would have learned to quilt from her. She passed away when I was 10.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 AM

When I was little I would play under grandmas quilt frame,while she quilted.She always had a quilt set up all winter,that was my tent.I cooked and she ate, alittle glass duck all winter long.Wish I could go back I could have learned so much more from her.The most patient woman I;ve ever known
Old 01-09-2011, 04:50 AM

I have no childhood memories of quilts, as there were no quilts to remember. What I do remember, however, are my little books with quilts on beds, on porch swings, and patchworked aprons on the mama characters. My eye was always drawn to them and I always wished for one. When I moved out on my own, my first bedspread - while not a quilt - was a cheater patchwork that I bought from the back of a magazine. lol...
Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 AM

We were snowed in but for some reason still had electricity. Mom dug in the closet and pulled out a couple of boxes of fabric scraps. Everyone except for dad and the baby started in working. We pressed the scraps, used empty cereal boxes to make templates and cut out blocks for several days. When we lost power and had no electricity, we sat by the windows during the day and hand pieced the blocks together. We made three full size bowtie quilt tops during that snow storm.

Since mom and grandma (dad's mom) both quilted I never remember not having a quilt on every bed and tons more in the closets. Mom had been raised in extreme poverty and many times had been cold as a child sometimes even sleeping under a ragged coat because there was nothing else. She was determined that none of her children would ever be cold at night.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:16 AM

I always pestered my mom to sleep on the porch in the summer as I didn't like sleeping in a hot (before Air conditioning) room. I always slept under a grandmother's flower garden quilt when I was allowed to sleep outside. I absolutely loved that quilt but have no idea who made it since I never saw my mother quilt even though she was a fantastic seamstress. I never remember seing the quilt used otherwise.

I moved to an area that has a history as being a stop for the underground railroad and learned about their using quilts as a sign as to whether it was safe to move. So there were and still are many good quilters in this area. Never having made aything more that just putting square patches together someone showed me a quilt they were working on and when I looked at it close I said I can do that - and did.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 AM

i also remember playing under the quilting frame when i was about 4--my friend esther and i would watch the needles flashing in and out under the huge frame, while our moms' "missionary circle" made quilts for missionaries far away. the ladies would all talk on the "top" of the frame, and essie and i would play on the floor.
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
i remember sleeping upstairs at my grandma and grandpa's house. my father's parents had been farmers for many years, and had recently moved "to town". the second floor area was finished, but like so many old farmhouses, it was wooden slat construction, and pretty chilly. she would tuck me in under a bowtie quilt, made of feed sacking. it was a tied quilt, with a thick wool batting. now i can identify the fabric as feed sacking, all from the thirties. then, it was just warm, and all that fabric was magic. i had my favorites in the fabrics--it was fun to find their twins in the many bowties.

today, i own the quilt, as well as a stack of others from her, my mother, and my maternal grandmother. i still love looking at the fabric, searching for the "twin".
Old 01-09-2011, 06:30 AM

I remember my mother working on a Grandmother's Flower Garden block when I was age 4. And the top she had stored away carefully, never completed from before she was married, until as a teenage, I bought a quilting frame fromm LeeWards' catalog, and hand quilted it for her in the living room. My own patchwork started with flannel squares left from our pajama fabric, a 9-patch, when I was age 7. It was a doll quilt but didn't survive my childhood years.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Love these stories!! I have no memories b/c nobody in my family quilted!! I'm still the only one!! :D