Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your earliest quilt memory? >

What is your earliest quilt memory?

What is your earliest quilt memory?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by PKITTY1
I remember looking at a scrap quilt one of my grandmothers had made. The squares were tiny and I would find a fabric that I loved and try and see if I could find it elsewhere in the same quilt. I had so much fun doing this when I was five. What about you?
I was sitting on the porch with my grandma and she was teaching me how to quilt,and how to not get upset and tense about every little stitch. I was doing just that, cause I wanted to be just as good as she was. I should've known that that took time and experience, but at 12 you don't know as much as you think you know.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 AM

Mine is when I was working and one of our employees kept bringing quilt blocks in for me to see. I said to her one day,"That is so silly, buy fabric, cut it up, and then sew it back together" I had done garment sewing for many years, but never was interested in quilting. Then she broght a lap quilt done in "Stack and Whack", That did it I was hooked. I bought the book and that is what my DH calls my 20,000 quilt. That is about what I have invested in about 6 yrs.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Never had quilts at home. Saw a Lone Star quilt in a antique shop and fell in love. I took it home and put it on our bed. I would sit there and study it for hours. It inspired me to learn how to quilt. I have never made a lone star, but I have quilted one for a friend. Maybe, someday......
Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 AM

Growing up we lived in north-central IL...COLD and WINDY! We were very poor and most of the blankets we had were thin and holey so we would layer them so the holes were in different places. I can remember throwing my mom's wool coat over me to keep warm at night.

My dad used to go to farm/estate auctions and pick up things cheap. At one of these he picked up an OLD crazy-patch quilt...velvet, satin, etc. Very HEAVY! Most of the patches were so worn that the batting was exposed.

My sister & I shared a bed and put that thing on our bed...we were in warmth heaven!

After use in our house it became even more tattered and one day when I was about 10-12 my mom took some ticking material she had and covered the quilt with it because so much batting was falling out from the tears in the original quilt. She & I then tied the quilt with red yarn.

This was my FIRST lesson in how quilts were made...by tying this quilt! My mom was not a quilter, but she knew how to cover an old quilt to extend it's life.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Sleeping under Grama's heavy quilts at her beach house :D:D:D
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM

I had a quilt that I remember from growing up thinking back it was ugly but I loved it it was grey with colored umbrellas all over it just two pieces of fabric tied with a thick batting. I loved that Quilt, My mom does not know what ever happened to it also I have a sunbonnet Sue Quilt that an Aunt made me hen I was little one year for Mothers Day my mom gave me a framed block from it many years later she gave me the whole quilt and said she didn't know what ever happened to the missing block. Then I told her I had it in a frame! I want to have a coffee table with glass on the sides to display them in some day.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Don't remember anyone in my family having quilts but as a young adult (early 1960's) I worked in a dress shop doing alterations. One season coulot dresses (dresses but with seam making skirt flowing pants) were not selling so the owner had me cut skirt/pant and make a center seam so dress had a regular skirt. What to do with those pieces? I made squares and put together for a scrappy block quilt. Quilted odd patterns on each square. It is faded and worn and kept in our car to this day - just in case needed for warmth. Did not realize then that I would enjoy many years of quilting.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

Keep the stories coming- I love them!!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:52 AM

I remember sleeping with my sister in my grandmother's feather bed covered with quilts. There is nothing warmer.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:32 PM

As the oldest of 3 children, I had a single bed. From the earliest I can remember, I had a single size quilt on it. I imagine my grandmother made it because my parents both worked in the various businesses they owned. It was a simple block quilt with sashing between blocks. Very scrappy but the squares were probably 8 inches or so. I can remember many times during childhood, sitting on my bed, telling my younger sis and brother stories on that quilt and using the blocks for different rooms in the imaginary house in whatever story I was telling them. I also cut out many paper dolls sitting on it and read many books, lying on it. Sadly I do not know where it ended up as we moved many times but it still resides in my memory.