Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is Your Favorite Beginner Quilting Book? >

What is Your Favorite Beginner Quilting Book?

What is Your Favorite Beginner Quilting Book?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
My first quilt book was by Eleanor Burns and was spiral bond. It was recommended by a quilt store, because I had to wait 2 months to take their beginning quilting class. I had just dropped off my only child, a son, at college for his freshman year and needed something to do to fight the empty nest syndrome. I started quilting that day in 2001 and made a Ohio star quilt. I don't know the name of the book because I loaned it to a sister-in-law and never got it back. It featured 3 quilts and I think "Trio" was in the title.
Is this the one? http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...play.asp?i=613

I love Eleanor Burns' books, but usually they are specific to one pattern, so I was looking for something more generic. I wasn't familiar with this one. Interesting that they have it listed as an intermediate level book.....

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 AM

When I began quilting I bought Better Homes and Garden - The Complete Guide toQuilting. Great reference. I also have a couple Eleanor Burns books. Great for short cuts.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by kapatt View Post
I've been quilting for awhile but recently (on the board) someone mentioned Harriet Hargrave's 4 books, "Quilter's Academy" Vol.1, 2, 3, and 4. Volume 1 starts out with the basics and each book after that expands on the things you learned in the previous volumes. They are excellent for explaining things and have several quilts in each book that a beginner/novie can make.

Another good book is Fon's and Porter's "Quilter's Complete Guide". My edition is one of the first editions and I noticed that they now have a new (different) cover on the book but I imagine that the information inside the book is the same.
I do recommend F&Ps Quilters Complete Guide, as that is the one I used most when I was starting out. Since I've been quilting over 25 years, I don't tend to look at the beginner books very often, so I'm not familiar with many of the newer ones. I will have to check out the "Quilter's Academy" series. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 AM

I'm getting some good responses here - keep 'em coming, please! I'll compile a list and then post it in a few days - it will be a good resource for some of our newer members to refer.

While I know there are tons of quilting books out there, I'm trying to weed the list down to ones that you really liked and found helpful, especially as a beginner. (On the flip side, if there was a book that claimed to be for beginners, but you found it confusing, or lacking in some way, please *PM* me the title of that one - please *DO NOT* post it as a general message, I don't want this thread to take a negative turn )
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
The red covered book- "Your first Quilt book or it should be " by Carol Doaks was the first one I bought
This is the book the LQS used when I took my first quilting class. I really like it and still refer to it often.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:59 AM

I do love just about any of the Eleanor Burns books for teaching beginners. She does cover a great deal of the basics. I find when teaching .. unless the skill has a task/project associated with it .. the learning is not retained.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
The red covered book- "Your first Quilt book or it should be " by Carol Doak was the first one I bought
This was my first book too and I still refer back to it at times. Such a wonderful book and so much helpful information!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Speaking as a beginner, I really like Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! I refer to it over and over again.

http://www.amazon.com/Quilts-Complet...dp/0844226173/
Old 01-08-2012, 11:20 AM

"Quilting for Dummies". I use this reference book alot.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:36 PM

I love the Quilter's Academy Series by Harriet Hargrave & Carrie Hargrave. Very detailed and strong explanations as to why to do certain techniques.

I've been blogging my way through Volume 1: Freshman Year.

Cheers, K