Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your  favorite charity for quilt donations ? >

What is your favorite charity for quilt donations ?

What is your favorite charity for quilt donations ?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 AM

I belong to a group of crafters that donates handmade quilts, afghans, hats & booties to the local hospital for newborns. Most people don't realize that a LOT of babies go home without a hat or blankie. Helps to call first to make sure there is a need in your area. We also do for local women's shelters.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 AM

Downy Quilts for Kids. My 2 year old niece had cancer (but thankfully is in remission now) so it's a charity that means something to me. I also make things for our local no-kill Humane Society.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 AM

Our guild has donated to several groups over the years, but right now we donated to several hospitals, soliders at the hospital, an adoption agency, for this one we make a childrens quilt & an extra 12" square, the adoptive mother gets the quilt & the birth mother gets the square as a rememberance, they say the the birth mothers really appreciate this......... also we have donated to the fire/police depts, shelters for battered women.... we did quits one year for a Childrens Home, there was 22 kids there and we made a quilt for each of them for Christmas... there are just so many places out there if you do a little cking..and I am sure there were alot given on here I just didn't read all the posts!!........
Old 03-20-2011, 06:40 AM

This year I made dolly blankets for the children of battered women. Also to the homeless shelter and I like to keep one ready for any one that suffers a hardship, evition, fire or lengthy illness. There are so many more, and sew little time.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:57 AM

I do Project Linus as well. We make quilts/blankets for local hospitals and, being close to Ft. Bragg, give lots of blankets and quilts to the hospitals and other auxilliaries there. Any time a soldier is killed or injured, their children get a blanket or quilt.
Jo Ann
Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Banned

I quit sewing for many charities when the quilts were showing up on ebay, craigslist and yard sales!

Our local YWCA has our extension clubs make quilts and pillow cases each year for Christmas. While handing them out 2 years ago a lady in line was bragging to the ladies around her that this was her third year to get quilts/cases for her 6 kids and that she then sells the quilts online and uses the money to buy video games! REALLY...if she was willing to sell them, I doubt she was buying games with the money, but drugs or bar hopping instead....so I no longer donate fabric, times, etc to that project.

I now make lap quilts for the veteran's in homes around the state. Quilts that I know are loved and KEPT and appreciated!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 AM

I donate to the Quilts of Valore and our local hospice. Hospice gives a quilt to every person that enters the hospice program.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Linus Project and Quilts For Kids.
These quilts go to sick children which I think is great.
Congratulations on your retirement!
Glad to hear you are going to put your skills to good use donating quilts. :thumbup:
Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 AM

I donated to a Vet's Hospital for many years. Since moving, first it is St. Vincent's Charity Resale or Salvation army.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 AM

Quilts For Kids