Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your  favorite charity for quilt donations ? >

What is your favorite charity for quilt donations ?

What is your favorite charity for quilt donations ?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:19 AM

I have always given local. Our fire department took some in the past, as well as pillow cases. When they get to the fire the family members have often grabbed what they could before they got out. The pillow cases are handy for the photo albums and other treasures. The quilts of course, are keeping the little homeless ones warm while they are waiting to go to a safe place. Our women's shelter is always happy to have them.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Our local guild has done pillow cases for kids with cancer and the area Shrine hospital as well as lap quilts for home nursing agency and nursing homes. My project right now is sewing weighted lap pads which are helpful for kids with autism and ASHD. They are 2 pound pads (fill with poly pellets) and we have given several away with good success.
There are now 2 groups in my area who are going to make them for kids
Old 03-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Project Linus is my area. We are able to make and donate quilts and blankets for children all over Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas and Oklahoma because we have the St.Jude's satellite hospital here as a part of St. John's. Springfield is the big hub for this part of the state and with St. John's being a level 1 treatment facility.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:04 PM

quilts of valor, pregnancy resource center, and nursing homes
Old 03-20-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by wb3efq
Our local guild has done pillow cases for kids with cancer and the area Shrine hospital as well as lap quilts for home nursing agency and nursing homes. My project right now is sewing weighted lap pads which are helpful for kids with autism and ASHD. They are 2 pound pads (fill with poly pellets) and we have given several away with good success.
There are now 2 groups in my area who are going to make them for kids
These pillow cases are loved by the kids! :-P :thumbup: My cousins 8 yr old daughter was hit by a van last yr (she's fine now) and someone had donated pretty pillow cases for the children. She was so happy to be able to take hers home with her. Just thought you'd like to know these pillow cases do bring a smile to the kids.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:29 PM

I have not read through all 6 pages of responses, so this post may be a repeat. I also am retired and, alas, trying to live on a very limited Social Security income, so there is not much money available to buy fabrics all the time. Then I discovered http://www.quiltsforkids.org which sends you quilt kits for you to complete. You supply the batting, assemble and quilt the project and provide the packaging and postage to return the quilt to them. They distribute these quilts to children's hospitals and NICU's all over the country.

This keeps me busy all day, I feel as though I am doing something to help sick children, and it doesn't cost me too much.

The organization does request that you send them one of your own quilts as often as you can to supplement the kits, which is what I try to do at least once a month and I feel as though I am contributing at least a little. I make NICU-size quilts which are only 38" square and don't require a lot of fabric so the expense isn't too bad. I just watch for sales and also use coupons at Joann's.

Hope this helps and that you find a charity that "fits" your situation. There certainly are a lot of wonderful suggestions here.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:01 PM

Have done Downy, St Jude, local women's shelters, the neo-natal units at our local hospitals.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 PM

Each member in our Guild makes a quilt each year for the Childhood Development Chapter in our county. They go to children. I also donate baby quilts to our local hospital for babies and ones in the cancer unit. I like to do for the local community.
SandyGail
Old 03-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by njgrl4evr
Quilts of Valor www.qovf.org
One way I do this is:
I always make a test block when I start a quilt. For years now I make the test block in red/white/blue. When I have enough I add borders if needed so they are all 12.5 inches square and VOILA, I have what I need for a sampler quilt. A bit of sashing and a border or 2 and off they go to a volunteer longarm quilter.
what a wonderful idea! thanks for sharing :-)
Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 PM

I make quilts for Rainbows Baby and Childrens Hospital as well as memory quilts for University hospital.

I just started in Dec to volunteer at our local hospice. I am going to try and get 4 special light weight quilts for them to use when a patient passes. That way its a bit nicer for the family to say there goodbyes. Right now they are just in the bed with the hospital sheets. I also volunteered to wash them when needed.

Not real sure yet what kind of design but thought I could embroider angel squares . Would love to applique one quilt BUT i'm real new at that so not too sure.