Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite color combination for quilts?

I am planning my next project, a quilt for my daughter when she heads off to university in the autumn. The apartment bedroom is painted off-white and very bright. When we saw it I thought - this place needs some color! :roll:

Can you please help me with the most difficult part of my quilt-making? I am terribly lacking in skill when it comes to picking color combos and usually have to cheat by copying something from a magazine, or ordering a quilt-kit. :oops: I have plenty of scraps, so I'm thinking a nice scrappy windmill might be in order!

I am going on a bus tour with our local guild to a show in early May - with several planned stops at LQS's. Can you please suggest your favorite 3 color and 4 color combos?

pinks, reds, and oranges come to mind with some yellow sprinkled in.

Also blues, greens and yellows.

The bright Fassett (?) colors come to mind as well as Amy Butler fabrics.

Banned
    How does red, white and black sound? A friend of mine made a log cabin with red centers and blacks and whites surrounding the center and it is gorgeous.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That's a hard question!!! My "favorites" vary all the time!
    I would suggest you have someone in the LQS help you. Some people are really good at helping you find combinations that are pleasing to you.
    Sorry that I'm no help! :(

I have seen a lot of brown and pink or brown and teal.
    What is your granddaughter's favorite colors? Go with that!!

sueisallabout quilts - don't think that you weren't able to help! Just look at your avatar picture- The colors in it are gorgeous! The mixes of blues and golds..... God must be a quilter :)

Banned
    purple, red and some yellow and a tiny bit of solid black

pink, blue, purple, and green

Blog Entries
    I personally love purples and blues with some neutral's added to make the colors pop more and also a big fan of black and white with a bright color (usually purple) Popping out here and there!

Yup it's a purple phase here :)

You might want the dominate colors to be the colors of the school. I have made 2 of my grandchildren quilts in their school colors fussy cutting the mascot. I am working on 3 more in other school colors.

Blues, greens and purples are my favorite.

There is a book called Quilts for men. There are some great quilt ideas for college quilts you could tailor for your daughters school. You could also do a couple of mini-quilts for the walls. The shop ladies/gents will help you as well. It's part of what they do. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
    I am planning my next project, a quilt for my daughter when she heads off to university in the autumn. The apartment bedroom is painted off-white and very bright. When we saw it I thought - this place needs some color! :roll:

Can you please help me with the most difficult part of my quilt-making? I am terribly lacking in skill when it comes to picking color combos and usually have to cheat by copying something from a magazine, or ordering a quilt-kit. :oops: I have plenty of scraps, so I'm thinking a nice scrappy windmill might be in order!

I am going on a bus tour with our local guild to a show in early May - with several planned stops at LQS's. Can you please suggest your favorite 3 color and 4 color combos?
    Anything will work in the off white and bright room!

It's not about what our favourite colour combos are for quilts. More so, in this case, use the colours that your daughter adores!

Let her help pick out the colours/fabrics and pattern. Or if you want it to be a surprise, then, go with colours and pattern type that you know she will like.

This is all about your love stitched into the quilt and your daughter having it as an anchor during those homesick moments she just may have as she steps into the brave new world, away from the nest!

Blog Entries
    Blues, greens, purples are not only my favorites, but my 2 DIL's favorites also.

To get ideas of how to coordinate your choices, view some of the bundles the fabric shops online have for sale. Be sure to vary the scale of the prints too for a more interesting mix.

Blog Entries
    I have turqoise and gold for my niece in the plan.

I like brown and light blues, or pink and light green. But my favorites change with the season. :)

Another suggestion would be to look at magazines or pics of quilts on-line. What "jumps out" to you. Are you or your dtr drawn to certain quilts because of the colors? This is also the most difficult part of quilting for me but I find the more quilts and color combos I look at, the easier it is to pick fabrics. Also, some patterns call for certain combos: scrappy, floral, batik, etc. My favorite colors change but all my quilts have black in them (does that mean I'm a dark dreary person LOL?).
    Good luck-remember, the more you do something the easier it will become. Practice putting colors together and I'm sure she'll love whatever you do

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    My favorite colors change but all my quilts have black in them (does that mean I'm a dark dreary person LOL?).
    Of course not! It means you have learned that when you use black, it makes the rest of the colors pop! :)

Blog Entries
    I love lots of colors, but the one that surprised me the most was made with purples and oranges. I fell in love with it, as did the parents. They hung it on the wall instead of using it.

Love browns, pinks and creams together or aqua....Not a big bright color person, but I do love jewel-tones.....:)

Purples and greens.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
    sueisallabout quilts - don't think that you weren't able to help! Just look at your avatar picture- The colors in it are gorgeous! The mixes of blues and golds..... God must be a quilter :)
    Oh yes, I agree!! When we were there (Hawaii) I was in awe of the beautiful shades of the ocean and all I could think of was QUILTS!!
    hahahaha :D:D

Blog Entries
    What is your granddaughter's favorite colors? Go with that!![/quote]
    ===================
    That was my idea too. This stage of her life is limited, she'll move on to other living spaces and this quilt will have to fit in with them all. I'd suggest black, white with a touch of red. These will more or less fit in everywhere she goes in her life.

And be sure to label it, since things seem to want to migrate in shared quarters, and come and go visitors.

Your daughter's favorite colors are probably the best bet.

But, since you asked for an opinion ... I think it is hard to miss with a Blue & white or Blue & yellow color combination.

burgundy/navy/hunter green; red/white/black

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast