Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your favorite patterns to make purses or totes? >

What are your favorite patterns to make purses or totes?

What are your favorite patterns to make purses or totes?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:50 PM

I haven't made any yet but I just drool when I see the ones that this gal, Geta, has made. Most are her own design if I'm not mistaken.

http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.com/

AND her quilting is outstanding!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 06-18-2010, 01:04 PM

I made purses and was going to make them to sell because I received so many compliments on them when I used them. I was venturing into printed fabric and had it bought when I was in a car accident. Though I can still sew thankfully, I had a brain injury so now I just don't have the brain power for the names, phone numbers, taxes, etc that a small business would require. I got so many compliments, still do, that I'd like to share my idea with you here. I've never seen any like this, though there might be.
They use a simple buton loop closure and the accident happened just as I was experimenting with a zipper closure. I have no pattern but you ladies are all so talented, I'm just going to share the photos, so if you're intersted, you're on your own. I went upstairs and found all the colors, in neutrals, except I couldn't find the white one. I also have a drawer of about 100 ties, the idea being have a purse, just change the tie to go with the outfit worn. My purse is always color coodinated with my outfit
Various kinds of handles can be used, I just use fabric straps. Closing snaps could also be used
I have no pattern, it was just a rectangle originally and they are lined with a plain rectangular piece of fabric with a few pockets
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88162.jpe   attachment-88253.jpe   attachment-88254.jpe  
Old 06-18-2010, 01:09 PM

RugosaB I am so sorry about your injury! Your purses are fabulous and you didn't even have a pattern!

thanks for sharing, and I hope that you will have improvement over time.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 06-18-2010, 03:30 PM

I went to the Henrietta's Handbags and Purses site http://www.henriettashandbags.com/index.html and the handbags are remaining there but the purses are being shuffled to a different site.

My question is - what is the difference between a handbag and a purse? In England the handbag was the bag, and purse was where you put your money (men carried wallets). When I came here to live I understood that the handbag was a purse and a purse was a wallet.

Now we seem to have purses and handbags in the US which serve the same purpose. Is there really a difference?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I think it's mostly what part of the US you are in if a purse is a handbag and vice versa. Billfold and wallet are the same thing. Same with car trunks. In the South they are called turtle hulls.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Every time I read Bow Tucks, I read it as Botox--do you think I've been a nurse to long LOL????
Well...to tell you the truth I think the same thing :lol: and at my age me carrying one is....appropriate! ;)
Old 06-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I make this pattern for most of my tote bags. It's the simple base pattern that can be adapted to be as fancy as you like and take any shape you want. The pattern I have is very old, my grandmother ordered it for .15 from a newspaper, but I found a pattern like it online for free a few years ago.

http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/blog/?p=913
Old 06-19-2010, 02:18 AM

I love making any bad. I am looking for a pattern for a bag made from 2-4" squares (?) The sq. were sewn into strips and the strips put together so when you look at the bag they run diagnally, kind of around the bag. Well if that doesn't make sense they are sewn with the point of sq. at the top. If you put this together and didn't trim the top of bag it would have
a jagged top edge. Hope you can figure out what I am looking for.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:53 AM

I love making totes and purses. No one favorite pattern.
If I like what I see, I will make the bag.
Lately though, I have been collecting more patterns than bag-making.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:08 AM

I have made many different styles of bags, totes, messenger, laptop, hobo, whatever catches my eye! I enjoy making them.