Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite quilting tool >

What is your favorite quilting tool

What is your favorite quilting tool

Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM

My rotary cutters, 24 x 36 mat are two very essential things to me. But my best is the moleskin taped to my machine to help with my 1/4" seams. That, and because I can't see the mark on the 1/4" foot!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:34 AM

My favorite tools are my thimbles, from the old silver ones I use for applique to my Roxannes for hand quilting. I also like having a pair of tweezers by my sewing machine - they're great for grabbing threads near the needle.

Janet
Old 05-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
My rotary cutters, 24 x 36 mat are two very essential things to me. But my best is the moleskin taped to my machine to help with my 1/4" seams. That, and because I can't see the mark on the 1/4" foot!!!
I would be lost without my moleskin seam marker! It keeps my piecing precise and I don't have to stare at it.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Duct tape...JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!! I really dont have many tools, but probaly my GOOD scissors, which I hide! I really do use duct tape to sanwhich my quilts...I aleady have it, so why noy use it!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 AM

Duct tape is great, as long as you don't accidently buy the insulated kind. I sure made a mess with that, it's a bit more sticky, and the stickiness stays on your quilt, I'm very careful now. I like my T-pins to pin the backing to the floor. I wish I had a wall big enough to spray baste on. I'm sure it would be my favorite tool. I do use it to baste my small projects, and absolutely love it. Otherwise, my favorite tool is my Janome 6500. She just does everything I ask her to, without narry a complaint. Worst investment was also one of those basting guns.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

My rotary cutters and mat. And of course my sewing machine and frame for quilting.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by craftybear
awesome, love to see a photo of your cool tables/benches!

Originally Posted by Lostn51
My favorite tool is one of my vintage sewing machines preferably my Japanese 15!

What I have adapted to make quilts would be my quilting tables/benches. They are solid wood door planks that I cut a hole into one of them and mounted a treadle under. I can change wooden plates out to fit which ever machine I want to use that day and if I want another layout table I can put a solid plank in it and I am good to go.

The one I wasted money on........nothing so far but I am sure that will change.

Billy
Ask and you will receive!!

Billy

Studio right after I finished the remodel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67994[/ATTACH]

My bench that I can change the plates in to accomodate different machines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67995[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-67989.jpe   attachment-67990.jpe  
Old 05-15-2010, 12:13 PM

I have to agree with TanyaMas, this board has been the best tool by far. If I had to go with a second choice I would say my 1/4 in foot. Well worth the investment.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Oh, yea, I bought one of the basting guns too, and it never worked out for me, either! I'd much rather use pins...
Old 05-15-2010, 02:32 PM

My favorites are the 24 x 36" cutting mat, Martelli rotary cutter, 6 x 24" ruler, Elna 7200 sewing machine & my Voyager 17 quilting machine with ProFlex frame.

My least used is my Alto Quilt Cut II but I plan to use it one of these days. I bought it to cut scraps but have been using my scraps for swap blocks instead of a scrappy quilt. I recently made a bunch of Jewel Box blocks from scraps and only after I had cut them all did I remember the Quilt Cut!