Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite quilting tool >

What is your favorite quilting tool

What is your favorite quilting tool

Old 05-17-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
I love my binding tool. Check out the tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2Pa...layer_embedded
Wow, this is great. Thanks for posting it! I have to get one of those tools.

Love this board!

And, having read all the comments I'm pretty happy I didn't buy one of the basting guns, although my first quilting book recommended them (perhaps others bought the same book and got suckered in).
Old 05-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Myfavorite tool is my seam ripper. It is mosst used item in my sewing room
Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Wow, love your table. Could you answer some questions for me? I am trying to figure out how this would work with my new Bernina 830. Am I correct that you cut out a rectangle and that each machine has it's own rectangle that the particular machine will fit into? I am trying to figure out in your set up whether I would be able to use something like this with the 830 because the bobbin area has a door that opens and the bobbin case rolls out. I am wondering whether I would have to cut the rectangle clear through the front instead of a rectangle back some. What do you use for the replacement rectangle boards? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana
Originally Posted by shaverg
I love my binding tool. Check out the tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2Pa...layer_embedded
Wow, this is great. Thanks for posting it! I have to get one of those tools.

Love this board!

And, having read all the comments I'm pretty happy I didn't buy one of the basting guns, although my first quilting book recommended them (perhaps others bought the same book and got suckered in).
It is really important to watch the video, the first time I had it turned wrong. duhhhh.

But that was before the updated video. Really works great.

The basting gun, just leaves too big of a hole. It works great, it was just hard to get rid of the holes it leaves, and I have the one made for quilting. It is the Micro.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM

OK, because of all the positive opinions, I bought the June Taylor 12x18 ruler off Ebay. Is it easy to cut within the grooves? Or does it take some getting use to?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 PM

I just started quilting. My favorite tool is the support I get from my Hubby and the new Bernina 230 PE he helped me purchase! I am having fun with the car that takes me to the many different quilt shops, where I meet the most amazing women! Oh! and the rotary cutter, matt's and rulers are great as well!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 PM

Borntoquilt, I too have a hoop on a floor stand and I hand quilt. could you explain how you use the darning needle to mark the quilt? I have not heard of this before.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 PM

I love my Bias Square ruler. One of the best tools for accurate cutting of blocks up to 6". They do come smaller and larger. I also love my 1/4 inch foot. Oh yes, have to have the needle threader to thread my quilting needles. Just push the lever and it's threaded.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM

I have just discovered my new favorite tool and it is called Steady Betty. It cost me about $48. I am not too sure about the price. I can't remember numbers very well. I bought the 17 inches square. It really gets the wrinkles out when I iron my fabric on it. My iron and the ironing board are old and even survived a chord chew by a puppy. The iron has very poor steam. With the Steady Betty what you lay it on or what you lay on it will not move. It is worth the money.

My most useful adaption was buying a Singer design square metal case with a handle on top. I filled it with all my safety pins I use for sandwiching my quilts. The weight helps to keep my pinning area wrinkle free.

The most wasted buy was the pounce. It was highly recommened like the basting gun I am sure. I could never make it work right no matter what I tried. Including hints offered on this board. I finally threw it away but I kept the chalk. I find I have less mess if I just use a small paint brush.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:33 AM

My favorite tool is the June Taylor Shape Cut ruler. I have the 12 inch and Joann's never seems to have the 18 inch in stock when I have a coupon. I noticed that Walmart has a couple of different sizes.

Worst purchase was the pounce marker and chalk. Very messy and doesn't stay on the quilt long enough to get a square done.

Soon I hope to get the large Martelli cutting board, non slip ruler and rotary cutter.

Diane