Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite strip width for scrappy log cabins?

Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I've made log cabin blocks with wider widths, but not the 1.5 inch cut width.

Any advice?
    I like small strips because the give a lot of movement to the finished piece. But I most often use 2" strips because I am usually making quilts for Project Linus, and they need a lot of quilts-- fast!

Here's a link to a great article from the Quilt Study Center on Log Cabin quilts, showing different settings and explaining a lot of why they do what they do.
    http://www.quiltstudy.org/includes/d...lleryguide.pdf
    I have a picture from my National Geographic magazine of a mummified alligator wrapped in the log cabin pattern and dating back over 3000 years. My Mom always said, 'Wait long enuf and what was old will be new again."

I always use 1 1/2 strips for the logs as that is what I collect and have bunches of.
    I have however played around with the center block, (chimney) and have used 1 1/2, or 2".

I want to start cutting strips for scrappy log cabin quilts, but am hesitating over the width. With lots of fabrics, I can go as narrow or as wide as I want. I realize that 1.5 inch strips give the most design possibilities, but am a little hesitant over the additional sewing time and extra weight in the quilt (from the seam allowances), and maybe a little more difficulty machine quilting over all those seam allowances. I've made log cabin blocks with wider widths, but not the 1.5 inch cut width.

Any advice?
    I have a queen size on my bed with an all over pantograph pattern, and 1 1/2 wide strips. Use it is heavy but not any heavier than another queen I have made with larger blocks. I had no trouble quilting over all the seams.

Quote Originally Posted by bitty39
    If you use two different widths you can makea curved kinda affect....as per below.

From memory they were 1" and 1 1/2"!
    bitty, that is one awesome quilt! I have been itiching to do another one, this may be it. I really like the way you continued the blocks into the border.
    I now need to cut and collect 1" strips.

I always cut my excess fabric into 2" strips for future quilt projects. Have made several log cabin quilts out of this size strips. Really like the look I get with this width.

However, I still have hundreds - HUNDREDS - of scrap strips in this width and need another pattern(s) as I am tired of log cabins (at the moment). Anyone have any idea(s) about how I can use these 2" wide strips? I prefer easy patterns!

Blog Entries
    Get the book Traditions with a Twist. It is all strip piecing and patterns.I have made several of the quilts in it,and am going to make them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    I always cut my excess fabric into 2" strips for future quilt projects. Have made several log cabin quilts out of this size strips. Really like the look I get with this width.

However, I still have hundreds - HUNDREDS - of scrap strips in this width and need another pattern(s) as I am tired of log cabins (at the moment). Anyone have any idea(s) about how I can use these 2" wide strips? I prefer easy patterns!
    rail fence, 9 patch, first come to mind

Banned
    [quote=omak]
    I am not an anarchist, encouraging people to break the "rules" - - but! there comes a point where the "rule" doesn't make good, common, practical sense, and at that time, one MUST do what is appropriate, no matter how "authority" the instructor claims to be.

Ditto

Most times I'll use 1.5 in.if it's for a an adult size, and 1.25 for a child size quilt. I've used a 2.0 inch strip, not my favorite, it looks too big for me....

Peggy, maybe a triple irish chain is in your future.... :)

Any advice?
    I like small strips because the give a lot of movement to the finished piece. But I most often use 2" strips because I am usually making quilts for Project Linus, and they need a lot of quilts-- fast!

Here's a link to a great article from the Quilt Study Center on Log Cabin quilts, showing different settings and explaining a lot of why they do what they do.
    Great link! I like 2" strips or 1 1/2" strips.

How about the rail fence? I think those look really nice!

Blog Entries
    Others are posting now where they just sew the strips together and make a long strip . then start cutting that down into sections and so forth ... I know I haven't explained it very well but they look neat and go together quickly :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Others are posting now where they just sew the strips together and make a long strip . then start cutting that down into sections and so forth ... I know I haven't explained it very well but they look neat and go together quickly :thumbup:
    As long as your strips measure 1600" in total length when all sewed together, you will stitch them end to end, fold in half ... oh, heck! I'll just go find the link for you!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Omak :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44258-1.htm

it starts out with a written instruction, and then further down the pages, there is a pictorial, step by step tutorial ... It is super fast! and it will use up the strips.
    How to figure 1600"? Consider that a strip of fabric from selvedge to selvedge averages 40" ... 40 strips will give you the 1600" required. You don't have to use full strips ... just make sure the strips you use end up with that final 1600" total.
    Further on in the thread, you will find numbers telling you what different widths of strips will yield for a finished quilt (no border included) ... if you have any questions about that technique, just post on that thread, and the originator or someone else will help you - - that is what we are here for

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tails
    Quote Originally Posted by bitty39
    If you use two different widths you can makea curved kinda affect....as per below.

From memory they were 1" and 1 1/2"!
    So............were the lights 1 1/2 and the darks 1, or do I have it backwards, I LOVE that one!!! :)
    In the picture, the darks were 1.5" and the lights were 1" ... if you reverse that order, you will have more color and less light ... lots of people like the larger light area for quilting purposes. (I think it is the "artist" in some of us ) ... if you use the "search" link at the top of this page, and type "log cabin quilts" in the search box, you will find LOTS of log cabin ideas in the Quilting Board for your inspiration.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    To the original question, I love using 1" and 1.5". Love the curvy effect. I've made two of those. The others I've made were all 1.5" I believe. I've made at least five others. 2" is just too wide for me.

Great link! Thank you for sending it along. I found a log cabin variation that I would like to try - "Light and Dark." I certainly need to reduce my 2" width stash as I am constantly adding to it!

I am making a log cabin now from 2" flannel strips - all dark woodsie masculine solids (navy, brown, maroon, forest green, gray, etc.)and prints for my youngest grandson (age 2). I want it to look like it was from a real "log cabin" in the woods years ago. My plan is that it will grow with him, since it is not made with children's prints, and hope he takes it to college with him someday!

I just finished a twin sized rail fence with part of a jelly roll with insect patterns and an orangish border. Finished with applique of a large leaping frog on the bottom half. Came out great. If I ever get a photo I will post.

Blog Entries
    you get a very different look when you use wider strips, maybe make a few practice blocks using different widths to decide what you like, the ones you decide against can then be used to make potholders, or tote bags, ect. there are some log cabin quilts that have different width strips in the blocks too...make up some different ones and play. :)

Any advice?

Blog Entries
    Mine is .75".

This is a GORGEOUS quilt!! I love the "movement" in it. Does this particular quilt have a pattern name? Did you come up with the pattern, or did you find the pattern somewhere? I'd love to know the source of the pattern as I would be interested in attempting to make a quilt similar to this one. Thank you for posting the photo - :-)!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast