Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your first quilt? >

What was your first quilt?

What was your first quilt?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

My first was a Jean baby quilt for my DH's new nephew. I made it from my kids old jeans. I had no idea what I was doing and it showed!! I completed it and thought it was beautiful. I put it in the wash and when I pulled it out a lot of the seams had came apart. So I ran to the store and bought a bunch of baby iron on patches and covered all the holes. LOL!! I didn't have time to make another one but I explained to the parents what happened. It turned out to be a good thing because the baby was six months and he loved looking at all the patches. He is 7 now and his parents say that they still have the quilt.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM

I didn't have a sewing machine, so my first quilt was a Grandma's flower garden. Hand sewed and hand quilted it. I read a book on how to do it at the library and just started cutting templates out of cereal boxes. I used old flannel shirts and lots of muslin. I learned lots while making it. I also bought my first sewing machine right after that.

my 1st quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]123759[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123754.jpe  
Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 PM

My first quilt was a red hat applique, went to class with my brand new machine supply list, and no clue how to even thread the machine :) :) :) After first class went home, finished the blocks, went to the next class sew proud of myself, teacher explained stippling to me, I went home stippled (without practicing first, oops) turned out pretty good if I say so myself. It hangs in my mothers entry way now.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 PM

i needed bedcovers for my 2 boys money was tight went to local seconde bed linen mill [actil]so i got what i could ---to make them look better i did a zig zag pattern across [chevron] oh boy did i learn to unsew /reverse sew in that progect-- i used thick wadding [first+ last time] the boys loved them i was proud as punch they graduated to the pets bed-- i have salvaged one it was wapped arround some 'good wood' it is in that safe place with the lost socks -- if i find it i will post[cause i can now]a pic--i am still proud of it +it gives me a laugh now
Old 03-11-2011, 09:10 PM

My first quilt was a sampler quilt...pieced all by hand...used cardboard templates, this was before rotary cutters and rulers...quilting sure has come a long way!!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:18 PM

You did a great job on your first quilt. My first quilt was a simple 9 patch. I to am self taught. I saw the many little quilts my mom had made, and they were so pretty, so I started researching the internet and various magazines, and I am hooked. I'm so glad I started this hobby, and I still have so much to learn.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 PM

Gosh some of you started with some difficult quilts that turned out beautiful! My first was a purple and lavender pinwheel that I sewed a yellow blanket to the back and tied it. The blanket became rougher each wash! But a blanket is a blanket. It was used as a blanket. This was in 1981.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 PM

Your first quilt looks awesome compared to mine. My daughter who was 10 at the time (now 26) was a Girl Scout and her 2 leaders were quilters and they made the cutest simple quillows with the girls, and I said to myself, "if 10 year olds can do it, so can I! Well I've never looked back ...have made over 100 quilt tops and wallhangings etc. Here is my first quilt :-)

OH MY!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125600[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-125595.jpe  
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM

When my mother pass away I found 2 blocks that she hand pieced. These was bow tie pattern, so that was the pattern of my first quilt. It was all hand piece and hand quilted.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:00 PM

I was about 6 1/2 when my eldest sister got married, moved to Michigan and started working for the Simplicity Pattern Co. I wanted to know what that was all about so my dear mother helped me learn to sew. The next year, my sister had her first child. I, of course, didn't have money to buy a gift. I used the leftover pieces of fabric from the clothes I had made to make a quilt for the baby. It was just 6" squares sewn together and tied at the corners....but my first quilt none the less.