Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your go to pattern for a wedding gift quilt...hopefully fairly simple? >

What is your go to pattern for a wedding gift quilt...hopefully fairly simple?

What is your go to pattern for a wedding gift quilt...hopefully fairly simple?

Old 11-27-2013, 04:20 AM

I am so glad to see the messages from both Sandilee and Oldquilter - I also have a daughter getting married about a year from now and her wedding may well be on the beaches of Florida. I am a relatively new quilter, although I get a ton of help from our LQS, but I would love to make my daughter and her husband a wedding "quilt" of some sort. The suggestions for lap quilts are great and more doable. I was also wondering about doing a quilted bed runner and giving it along with a duvet cover that coordinates. Echoing Oldquilter's request, do you all have favorite patterns for wedding quilts? Thanks - I love, love reading this board!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

That quilt is sew quilt.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Unless I know the bride's style well and am confident in choosing bright colors, I tend to make low volume quilts as wedding gifts -- neutrals, simple blocks, with the interest coming from the texture of the free motion quilting.

Another epiphany for me -- I no longer make queen or king sized quilts for wedding gifts. Most people I know like big puffy comforters and duvets for their bedding. So I make a generous lap size, perfect for cuddling on a couch or to throw at the foot of the bed for decorative interest. Much easier and cheaper for me to make, and they've been appreciated as much, if not more, than the massive quilts I used to try to pull together.
I agree about the size. Unless I am CLOSE, and I mean niece or nephew, not neighbor's cousin or hairstylist's daughter, I make a smaller, lap size. One for the bed is so personal and commands the rooms decorating style, that unless they were at least consulted, there's a better than even chance it will get the dreaded" what are we going to do with this" response. If I want something quick and easy, I do a D9P with lots of bright colors. If they don't like it, at least I've had fun making it!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:01 AM

JUST CAN'T CUT IT, is now known as The Gibbs' Family Wedding Quilt. My sister in law's and I have made one for almost every nephew that has gotten married in the last 10 years! It goes together quickly and we share costs...perfect gift! The kids look forward now to see what it looks like for them!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:45 AM

There is an old fashioned block called Single Wedding Ring. It's a two color square, a 9 patch variation, with a light center square and light 1/2 square triangles in the corner....it makes a chunky circle out of the other fabric. That would be easy and you could use a variety of prints in their favorite colors, maybe with just one light solid as background to tie it all together.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 AM
KLO

oldquilter, I do not know if you would consider this a hard or easy quilt to do because there is a fair amount of piecing to do but I love the look of it. You could pick neutral fabrics for the background like she did and then add the colors (scrappy, themed, or otherwise) for the other squares. Just a thought. Of course Warm Wishes and D9P are always great patterns. Nice of you to want to do this.

http://andsew4th.blogspot.com/p/free...-patterns.html
Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I have been commissioned in the past to make wedding quilts. I have made a Broken Star quilt for the president of RJR but the simplest is the pattern Colorsplash (my avatar). Here is a picture of the pattern in Yellow and Blue. It takes a bit of time to find the right fabric blend as in a Bargello.
Attached Thumbnails yellowbluecolorsplashemail.jpg  
Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 AM

Wow, Maniac Quilter, that is stunning. I don't think I have the color sense to pick the fabrics, any hints?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:07 AM

I've made table runners in the wedding colors, and they have been very well received. I'm hesitant to make a full-sized quilt for someone who might not appreciate the hours put into it, and have it end up permanently in a closet or as a dog bed.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have been commissioned in the past to make wedding quilts. I have made a Broken Star quilt for the president of RJR but the simplest is the pattern Colorsplash (my avatar). Here is a picture of the pattern in Yellow and Blue. It takes a bit of time to find the right fabric blend as in a Bargello.
That is stunning!