Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your inspiration? >

What was your inspiration?

What was your inspiration?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 AM
RDM

I was turned on by creative, beautiful, bright, happy, artistic quilts I would see at fabric stores. I've sewn since 5, but 10yrs ago switched from garment sewing to quilts. My 1st quilt class got me hooked. I love the endless possibility I now find in quilting.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 AM

My love of history inspired me to start quilting. It started in high school, when I took my first class and made a friendship star block. I was an American history major in college, and I feel the two go hand in hand. I love reading about how quilts came to be made, their purpose in the household and community, how they were/are prized possessions, how and why we associate certain fabric colors/patterns with certain time periods, how blocks got their names, etc. etc. In fact, reading a great book right now called "Quilts From the Civil War", and learning a lot; those of you who sell at craft fairs and make quilts for our soldiers are carrying on some great traditions!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 AM

quilting goes back several generations in my family my sister has my grandmothers quilts and unfortunately won't share them with the rest of us
Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 AM

My back barely survived a car wreck and my active retirement life seems now to have 2 choices: sit and watch TV or sit and quilt. Quilting won because have you seriously tried to watch TV all day?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
I thought I could use up all of the scraps from garment sewing since I was a kid. How silly of me. LOL Now I have a huge stash of cottons AND the remains of 30 years of regular sewing.

Diana
Same here! I have just reorganized my sewing room & have gotten rid of lots of garment fabric- to make room for more quilting fabric!

No one in my family ever sewed or quilted, it was just something I latched onto after 7th grade home ec. My husband's grandma made all kinds of quilts, but she called them comforters & they were all tied & finished "envelope" style. She told me I was the first "outsider" ever to get one because we weren't married yet when she gave it to me! Unfortunately a lot of her quilts didn't stand the test of time. She would use absolutely anything in them, much of it fabric given to her & not great quality. They were well used while they lasted though!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM

I have always sewed a lot, clothes mostly. In my younger days, they didn't make tall clothing below size 12, so if I wanted skirts and pants that were long enough, I had to make my own. Anyhow, scraps and old clothes became my first quilts, which were hardly more than 4" squares sewed together, in no particular design.

Then later, a coworker talked me into a quilting class at the local Hancock's, and I was hooked.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Gal

Back in the 70's when there was a new wave of things crafted, I saw many quilts and quilted jackets etc coming into fashion, I started a Grand mothers Flower garden. I have always sewn but more recently got into quilts now that I am semi retired.

Gal
Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 PM

My grandmother quilted and I have 2 of hers...hand done of course. When I was about 20 something I saw a pattern for a beautiful appliqued quilt. I bought the book and tried my best to follow the directions, but failed miserably. I still have it is a bag somewhere..I remember I bought sheets to make it out of so it may not even be cotton! Tomorrow I am taking a class in hand applique...only 40 some years later...at The Road to California Quilt show. If I get the hang of it and like it I might dig out that old book and start again.

I have made some other quilts since then, but all machine made. I really enjoy that, so I will just be expanding my talents tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 PM

I always wanted to learn. My mom sewed some things when we were little but never had the time to teach us. A friend of mine mentioned going to a quilt camp while we were watching our children play soccer. I told her that I would like to go with her some time. She got me the info to sign up for the camp the following year. I went and was hooked. I attended four more camps with her. The expense just got to be too much. She still goes.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 PM

I learned to sew starting at 9 from my mother and many years of 4-H, but always wanted to learn to quilt. Well, life got in the way but about 6 months after retiring I saw a sign in JoAnn's about a beginning quilting class. I took the class--9 years ago this month. I love quilting. It is my passion and my relaxation.