Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your most challenging quilting project to date... >

What was your most challenging quilting project to date...

What was your most challenging quilting project to date...

Old 05-26-2015, 05:07 AM

The Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt was my biggest challenge so far. The blocks are all pieced and partially sews into rows. Too much else going on to finish it up right now. Another reason it isn't finished is that I don't have any idea how to quilt it. I thought about having it quilted by some ladies that come to an Amish quilt shop to quilt. Don't know if I can afford that though.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:13 AM

For me it's was either my twin size Dear Jane or my latest quilt which is The Butterfly by Tulia Pink. I am about half way done with the blocks but had to put it away since we started babysitting our new granddaughter when she was born a year ago. I am making it for her and I was blessed to be able buy the kit. I look forward to having the time to complete it, God willing.
This is the quilt in case you don't know what it looks like.

http://www.ihearttulapink.com/produc...butterflyquilt
Old 05-26-2015, 07:34 AM

Ptwheels, just cutting pieces from each quilt I make to make plus quilt, hope mine looks as good!!
Mine was my first paper piece! Was a Japanese theme with kimonos, lanterns, houses ect was a beginner and I'm legally blind but was worth it to hear how much my mom loved to receive it!!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 AM

Mine was a quilt that had a diagonal color wash look when finished. You had to add the color which was the next row and to the right onto the HST on the row above. I have forgotten the name, probably because I was so crazy by the time I finished. I did finish the quilt, but had to work for long periods of time with all the components laid out on a folding table to keep everything straight. I didn't dare put it away because I would have never been able to lay it out again. Boy was I glad to finish with only one upside down HST which I didn't catch until I was hand sewing binding down. No I didn't fix it.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:09 PM

I have several--French Braid (UFO), DWR, Cleopatra's Fan (requires absolutely accurate cutting and sewing), and of course Dear Jane (80 blocks done). Can't pick which one was the most difficult.
Sue
Old 05-26-2015, 02:17 PM

It would be fun to see pics of these!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:48 PM

Easy question. My most challenging was "Twisted Log Cabin". It hasn't been quilted yet.
Attached Thumbnails 066xx_1024x766.jpg  
Old 05-27-2015, 03:11 AM

I took a class many years ago to make a double wedding ring. I was cutting the pieces and my young teenage son asked me what I was doing. I explained to him that it was a wedding ring quilt and he could have it when he got married. His reply was, "Well you have plenty of time because I'm not getting married for a very long time." Well needless to say many things happened in the meantime: illnesses, surgeries, divorce, moving 2 or 3 times. Eventually, I decided I MUST finish the quilt. I tracked down the teacher of the class and she said she would help me get started again. So the two of us worked on that beast. She was very expert, me not so much! At last it was finished and quilted. I gave it to my son Jordan and his lovely new wife Emily when they married and he graduated from medical school. It is the most challenging and beautiful quilt I ever accomplished. It is so gorgeous. And the best part is that the teacher Donna, has become a most treasured friend. She is as precious and spectacular as the quilt. Maybe that's more of an answer than you wanted but that's my story! Yes, I'm crying in the first picture because I was so overwhelmed and relieved and wistful all at once!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]520805[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520806[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520807[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520808[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-1-.jpg   photo-6-.jpg   photo-4-.jpg   photo-3-.jpg  

Last edited by maryellen2u; 05-27-2015 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:45 AM

Mine has been a hand applique Baltimore Album quilt. There are no significant errors but it just a lot of work. I really like it and say every year that I am going to get back to it-but never seem to have the time (make the time!). Other things just seem to get in the way. Who knows?
Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 AM

Maryellen, what a wonderous DWR and the quilting is just perfect. Your son sure got a jewel for a wedding present. The fabrics in the rings go so well with each other, were they a line of fabrics, or pulled from your stash?