Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on "Quilt Kits"? >

What is your opinion on "Quilt Kits"?

What is your opinion on "Quilt Kits"?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM

no it comes with pattern and fabric, you have to cut it yourself
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM

I have bought several quilt kits and really liked all of them. I think most kits are more reasonably priced than buying the fabric and pattern would be. I wish I could find more that I really like. I'm not good with picking out colors and patterns. The kits take care of everything for me, but lately I haven't seen any that I really like. I am considering one at Connecting Threads called "Dripping Diamonds", but you have to purchase a book along with the kit. I'm still thinking. - Cynthia
Old 01-14-2011, 03:21 PM

I've purchased a few kits from Connecting Threads and I've loved them. Usually when I make a quilt I want it to be a one of a kind, but the kits that I've purchased from CT have been AMAZING. I got a table runner kit that said that I would only get one runner out of the kit. I actually got 2 out of it they had so much extra fabric.

That being said, I purchased 2 of their new Canterbury kits (the one that's on the cover of their catalogue) one for me (which I never do) and one to make for a Christmas gift for a friend.

CT kits are fantastic especially if they're on clearance!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:22 PM

I have purchased lots and lots of quilt kits from BitsnPieces in Wayne, Michigan and have never been disappointed. Never been short on fabric.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:32 PM

I have always had quite a bit more fabric than needed in any kit I've bought, no matter where I bought it.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:50 PM

I'm with the smart lady from Missouri, pieces, I don't buy kits because I want it all to my choice and work.

Now having said that I just signed up with Keepsake Quilting to do the BOM for the Civil War quilt. I reasoned that the fabric selection will be more accurate for the period than I might select. Hope I'm right.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:09 PM

I have made 3 quilts from CT's kits and have 6 I think do do yet. I have also bought large kits,just to have the fabric.I am very happy with them.Especially when they are on Clearance. CT is the only site I have ordered from. I have ALL their threads and love them. Today I Just finished a quilt for a 10 yr. old[Daughter of my DH employees] who has cancer.It came out so cute and I used CT fabrics and threads. I love their books too. I am always going through them for ideas.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM

I have bought wall hanging kits that are applique...like a puppy themed or a holloween theme. I even bought mini quilt that had a theme for each month....but I love applique and scenery quilts. Anything bigger than wall hanging I like to pick out my own quilt material.
I did just by a whole block of the month kit from joanns that was on clearance, for putting together with my Autistic daughter. She is afraid of sharp things like rotary cutters so this kit was ideal!!! She got a sewing machine from Santa.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:55 PM

I have had excess fabric from each kit from CT. One was short of fat quarter and had no problem getting a replacement. No problems.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

As a quilter who always prewashes, I would be concerned if I bought a kit to use as a bed quilt that the fabrics might shrink differentially or bleed when they were washed, not a good thing and a disappointment for the recipient if I made it as a gift. For a wall hanging, I think they would be fine.