Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what in your opinion is the best quilting magazine? >

what in your opinion is the best quilting magazine?

what in your opinion is the best quilting magazine?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 AM

I am in the process of letting all my subscriptions lapse. I've subscribed to three or four magazines for many years but find I'm getting less and less from them; many issues just sit around unread and then get donated. Quilters Newsletter is probably still my favorite.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 AM

I think which quilt magazine depends on what you like and how difficult the projects are. I have read a lot of the magazines but only subscribe to American Patchwork and Quilting because it is "my kind of quilting". Sometimes I subscribe to others if I get a great deal. I think subscribing for a year to a couple of the magazines and then see how many of the projects you really like and would do then you can narrow it down.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:56 AM

The Quilter and American Patchwork and Quilting luv um!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 AM

I am getting Fabric Trends, McCall's Quick Quilts, American Patchwork and Quilting, Quilter's world, McCall's Quilting. I think that is it. I've just recently changed my subscriptions. I like to get different companies Quilt mag's becuase they will be different. The "sister" mags seem to have the same Quilts but different fabrics in them. Like they are were at the same workshop and had to show us theirs. Fabric Trends I actually read. My tastes change so what I have now may not be what I will have next year.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM

I'd say the same about Fons and Porter. The kits in the magazine and web site are pricier than others and I understand from other posts that you don't get the pattern but must also buy the magazine. This makes it less attractive. I agree that in most cases, there is not often anything new in them.But, that said, I still fiind myself drawn to check out the new ideas.
Originally Posted by dunster
After taking many quilting magazines I've settled down to just one subscription - Quilters Newsletter Magazine. I also get the magazine that comes with American Quilting Society membership. I'm not looking for patterns in the magazines. I got totally turned off Fons and Porter with their little quilting DVD promotion, and I got really tired of seeing the same designs over and over in all the magazines - but in the latest fabrics.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:25 AM

For me, I do not want a mag full of patterns and basic quilting instructions. I feel inundated with patterns between books, mags, LQS, Internet. I just like to read about quilting so my choice is The Quilt Life.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 AM

McCalls, American Patchwork. Fons and Porter just want to sell you something.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM

Hello!
Thanks for this post!
I received a lot of information!
A query: I would like to enroll at the American Quilter's Society because I see that the annual price is affordable and would have 6 digits of your magazine.
But I live in Argentina the shipping costs for all "kill me"! Anyone get the "Digital Online Version Only"? Serves an online version? I bought my first 4 books and I love the pages, but my limitation is the weight and postage!
Thanks for your answer!
A hug!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Checkout your local library! I'm able to read Quiltmaker, QuiltNewsletter, and one other one. It really takes care of my desire to browse through the latest. I like pretty easy and fast so I'm currently buying Quilt.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 AM

I'm a Quilter's World, Easy Quilts and McCall's person. They have the patterns from beginner to intermediate to advanced instruction. All are well written, with patterns for runners, placemats, wall hangings to quilts. If you have time, go to your library and spend time looking at the Quilt magazines they have to make your choice. At one time, I had a subscription to 5 different magazines. Now I have 2. Fons & Porter and McCalls. My Easy Quilts comes as part of my Quilters Club of America dues. Cheryl