Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your personal quality standards? >

what are your personal quality standards?

what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Having fun is way more important than perfection. The more fun you have, the more you will want to sew. The more you sew, the more you will improve. Eventually, you'll achieve the standard of perfection that you want to. If you are too hard on yourself, you will quit sewing and, ironically, deprive yourself of becoming the quilter you want to be.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I have been struggling with the same issue. I can make a simple quilt and am trying to get better with each thing I make but when I go to the quilt shops for fabric etc. I see these perfectly made quilts quilted with a long arm and I was getting so depressed knowing that I cannot afford the machine and I cannot see my hand quilting skills getting to that level. I recently came to the conclusion, as you did, that quilting makes me happy. It doesn't matter if it makes anyone else happy. Although so far it has made members of my family happy. :)
You're looking at those "perfectly made quilts" from a distance. I'll bet if you looked at them as close as the maker did you'd see all the imperfections she saw.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm going to agree with the cozy quilter crowd. Even if I could make a perfect quilt, the time it would require would cause me to lose interest before one row of blocks was finished. Then if I did finish it I wouldn't want anyone to touch it and mess it up. I'd rather do something that looks homemade and the recipient won't be afraid to use it and toss it around.

Darren
Old 01-07-2010, 03:37 PM

I think we grow as quilters with each quilt. We try not to repeat our errors. We learn from ourselves and others. Like all education it never ceases.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by wesing
I'm going to agree with the cozy quilter crowd. Even if I could make a perfect quilt, the time it would require would cause me to lose interest before one row of blocks was finished. Then if I did finish it I wouldn't want anyone to touch it and mess it up. I'd rather do something that looks homemade and the recipient won't be afraid to use it and toss it around.

Darren
I totally agree with the cozy quilters. I just do my best and
the people I give it to are mostly non quilters but they love
it cause I made it just for them.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:58 PM

When I use to teach I'd tell my students to to work for precision not perfection. Things go together better if you are precise which makes the whole process less frustrating and more enjoyable. That said, most people will look at a quilt from a distance and be impressed even it is not perfect.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:59 PM

I never will achieve perfection in my quilting,, but if I did..it would end my wonderful hobby. I learn from every quilt and each one is better than the last. That's why I always look forward to the next one. Do your best at whatever you do, and be happy. Remember, only God is perfect.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 PM

I think to enjoy the Dear Jane project I am going to have to be less intense and less critical and enjoy all the colors, patterns, learning and all the friendships involved with this project. A couple of my blocks didn't come out perfect (they are so not perfect I have to re-do them) and I was feeling a bit crabby and intense over it. I like the phrase "cozy quilter" and will keep that phrase with me when I jump back into piecing Jane.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:03 PM

I have to agree with all your comments...when you take the joy out of a hobby, its no longer fun. Yes, we can achieve to be better, which by the comments I hear from you all is what we try and do.

I just so enjoy reading all your comments and suggestions. Being new to quilting it has helped me tremendously and I don't feel so overwhelmed when things get haywired.

Thanks to all for sharing. I really, really appreciate it. P.S...I am new to this website myself.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 PM

Cozy Quilter could be my title.
When I make a quilt or any other item I am doing it for someone I care about. If that person has to pick out the mistakes, then guess what, there may be no more gifts.
Quilts received should never be examined just to find mistakes.
Do they really care about what you have done for them?
I have make quilts for 2 daughters, 4 grandchildren, sisters
son-in-law and not one compaint.
There are no errors in sewing, just creative ideas.