Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your quilting style? >

What is your quilting style?

What is your quilting style?

Old 02-05-2021, 10:10 AM

Default What is your quilting style?

What is your quilting style or do you have a quilting style? When I see some quilts I can sometimes discern who the quilter is/was based on type, color, style etc... ie. Lori Holt, Edyta Sitar, Joann Figueroa etc. . Does your style reflect who you are? Your home? Your favorite color(s)? A favorite method? Modern or traditional or?

For me I have no style at all, it’s what ever strikes my fancy and doesn't reflect my home or anything specific I love Kaffe Fasset and have yards upon yards of his fabric; but my home is subdued neutrals in its decor and colors, no bold bright colors here, but I very drawn to the bright bold happy colors that scream “smile because life is too short”. I have made several quilts in those bright happy colors, and they have all found a home with quilt worthy persons.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:14 AM

If I had to say, I'd guess my style is bright and geometric, but soft edges. Jewel tones and geometric figures that float or flow. At least, that's what most of my wall hangings end up like.

I also do more traditional bed quilts and again, geometric looks...square in a square etc. Not so much stars.

Watson
Old 02-05-2021, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Lots of colors no matter the pattern is my favorite style.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:29 AM

I seem to gravitate to Kim Diehl, Eleanor Burns, Pam Buda style fabrics and homey designs. I love reproduction styles and my quilts always seem to reflect that. My applique pieces stretch a bit more into brighter colors. My home is mostly muted colors, with sage green being one of my all time favorite colors. (DH dislikes it...says it reminds him of his military days!)
Old 02-05-2021, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Oh I think I'm with you tallchick although I probably lean towards more traditional old time styles and fabrics. That being said I like to see what I can do with scraps and find that most of my quilts (large, medium and mini) are made that way. And my home reflects the more traditional look. Trends in design and color make no difference in my personal style..I make what I like! Over the years I have discovered I tend to think symmetrically in my designs. Once I realized this I started working with more asymmetrical quits.

Currently putting together a 6" block with earth tone traditional fabrics. I decided to make it as a sharp contrast to the maverick star quilt I finished last fall.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:36 AM

It is easy for me to say that I am a very traditional patchwork gal. I rarely step outside of my comfort zone. I started a Pineapple quilt this morning. I made one more than 25 years ago that was a King Size quilt. My daughter has it now. I am not sure what size this one will be or even if I will work on it straight through to the finish line. I love traditional and historically based patchwork. If the patchwork blocks are more than 50 years old to 150 years old I love to work on them.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Good question!
I've been making quilts since the late 80's and my "style" has evolved. I don't think I actually have a certain style. I used to like very traditional but my tastes have changed a lot. I love a lot of the modern quilts, but still like traditional, sometimes updated by different types of fabrics, etc.. Things I use to love no longer interest me and vice-versa. The whole thing experience fascinates me.
I used to be strictly a hand quilter but that's also changed. I'm so glad there is something for everyone!
Old 02-05-2021, 01:44 PM

Other people tell me, they can pick out my quilts. Value contrast is #1. Sophisticated, contemporary, bold.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:37 PM

I have been trying for the past three years to discover what style I gravitate most toward. I like the idea of having a recognizable style, but someone suggested to me that the people who make their living designing have to settle on a particular style for marketing purposes, and that it wouldn't be necessary for us ordinary quilters. Still, I like the idea of understanding my own preferences and future direction in quilting. A few of the things I've concluded while prepping a whole bunch of quilts of different kinds are:

I enjoy making a more a complicated, small piece quilt over making a simpler, large-piece quilt.

While I enjoy admiring a bright, modern quilt with lots of white space, I have no interest in making one.

While I enjoy the beauty of pure, bright-colors, they don't interest me the way rich, 'muddied' colors do.

I love busy fabrics and blocks made with lots of busy fabrics.

I love the retro, 'Americana' look of American Jane quilts, and the red-blue-yellow color combination.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

Quilts are usually traditional in block form. Wall hangings are more adventurous with whatever pattern or idea that sparks my interest.