Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the best iron for piecing quilts? >

What's the best iron for piecing quilts?

What's the best iron for piecing quilts?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:56 AM

My Rowenta just died yesterday! I used to work at a large chain fabric store where those irons were returned ALL the time for leaking. So I bought two at a damaged price plus employee discount. So I've used this Rowenta for the past 5-6 years until yesterday. I pulled out my backup iron and was amazed at how hot it got and how nice it ironed on my fabric. My suggestion is to buy a cheap iron...I think they are hotter and worth the little money.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 AM
Suz

Black & Decker, less than $20 ad KMart. Look for one that has just the steam holes and not the "slots" that are to distribute the steam. These slots often turn over an edge when pressing from the wrong side.

The Rowenta is junk. Ask me how I know.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 AM

I have a Rival that I bought at Walmart for $7.95. Works perfectly and has never leaked or caused any problems. Does not have auto shutoff which I like too.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:42 AM

I bought a high end iron and wore the teflon coating off in about 6 months, what a waste of cash that was. I now have a relic for an iron and I love it! Its about 50 years old weighs a ton and is the best iron in the world. I picked it up at a garage sale for a whole buck!Had hubby rewire for me.It has a solid plate which is ok by me, I'm a spritzer. I pick one up when I come across them at thrift stores etc.Once this one dies, I have 4 more to pick from.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 AM

I use two irons. One is a Rival from WM that was $9 and the other is also from WM and Rival for $10. Both do very well. The reason I have two is because I have one by my sewing machine and the other by my cutting table. Works out perfect.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zebra2
Yep. The cheapest black and decker you can find!! I have a EuroSteam that cost over $200 and I love it for most things, but for piecing? I definately prefer my $12.00 B&D!!
Or my $10 Sunbeam. Mine shuts off, if it sits too long too, which is handy for us forgetful folks.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 AM

Curious does your Rowenta state on the heal it was made in Germany? I had one in the pasted that never would work right. But two irons later I was urged by by sis to buy a Rowenta making sure it was made in Germany. I really like this one. There are some on the market that obviously are not German made.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:53 AM

I have a Black and Decker that I have had for about 10 years. Still works great!!! I've heard that for quilting you should not use water in the iron, just spray starch but I have always used tap water in mine.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Zebra2
Yep. The cheapest black and decker you can find!! I have a EuroSteam that cost over $200 and I love it for most things, but for piecing? I definately prefer my $12.00 B&D!!
A little off the subject, but I bought the EuroSteam and find that I am spending more time waiting for it to get a head of steam than I do using it. Am I doing something wrong since you love yours.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 AM

I always use a Sunbeam iron that I like alot. You can shoot a spot of steam on hard wrinkled spots or spray water. It also shuts the iron of by its self if you are not using it after a period of time. I am bad about shutting my iron of so really like that feature.