Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the best way to mark quilting designs? >

What's the best way to mark quilting designs?

What's the best way to mark quilting designs?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
That's my preference too!! I'll have to try the orange on dark.........I tried the pink but didn't show up. Kudos to the person on the board awhile back who said she uses slivers of soap. Works wonderful on dark fabric!
using soap slivers is a trick i used during my clothes sewing days. it works great and of course its washable.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 PM

I have used the crayola markers too. I made a heirloom christening gown, and marked the center in yellow. I just know it didn't come out. I must have ironed it. I have used a sharp mechanical pencil too. On light colored fabric it works well. In applique by the time you get the piece appliqued a great deal has already worn off. I got a frixon pen for christmas and am looking forward to using it. I took a Shar Pederson class at quilt festival and it was on navy fabric. She had a white pen that we used--i would have to go and see if I can find it to tell you the name, but when you iron it it comes off. I have used silver water color pencils (and yellow) for marking quilts on black. It works well.

I think it best to experiment and try different methods and see what works best for you. Chalk for me doesn't last very long, so I try and do this right before I quilt.
Oh, and I also got a mechcanical pencil that erases as well as washing out.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 AM
Banned

try "Multi-Pastel Chalk Pencils" from General Pencil Co in white and light grey
Also the ceramic mechanical pencil (Fons and Porter, Sewline, Collins) in white
A slection of colors from Bohin - but in white

I recommend avoiding colors as some have lots of color pigment in them and difficult to come out.
Everyone has their favorite and I don't believe there is one "best" markeer because often what works for one person doesn't work for another.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
I really like the new gel frixon pens. The line disappears when you iron it. It will come back if it gets to about 14 degrees, but then it will iron away again. The orange shows up on black.
I really like these pens, but beware using them on white fabric. I marked with blue on white fabric, ironed it out (didn't like the design), but if I held the quilt up I could still see the design. It wasn't blue, but it was very visible.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

"Multi-Pastel Chalk Pencils" from General Pencil Co in white and light grey

I like these the best for this type of products but they are hard to find. Amazon does cary them.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM

I like regular chalk board chalk. I sharpen the end with a crayon sharpener to get a fine line. Just be careful of the colored chalk because it may not come out, check the color on the same fabric as the quilt each time before using colors.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:42 PM

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Guess I will have to go shopping for some different kinds of marking tools.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:26 AM

I like the wash out blue pens and the dissapearing ink pens best.
I have the chalk squares but they dont work with stencils. Pounce only works on some fabrics but wont show on others if they are light colors so is a problem on quilts with mixed colors. The blue pounce isnt much better. It does help to lightly wet the fabric with water before you pounce.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:36 PM

I just used a frixion pen to mark my quilt - quilted it...threw it in the machine to wash but all the lines did not come off. Now question? If I dry it in the dryer and then iron, will the lines come off? I don't think I will ever use this pen again. (It would have helped if I'd have know about the ironing before I threw it in the wash.) Any suggestions?