Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What's a good brand of flannel?

Blog Entries

What's a good brand of flannel?

I want to use flannel on the back of some doll quilts and a baby quilt. I'm going to tie them rather than quilting. I've read about how flannel "acts" when used as a backing and one of the recommendations was to use a good brand of flannel. I only have access to Hancock's and Hobby Lobby here but I can order on line if anyone has a good suggestion!!

TIA Carolyn

Moda Marble flannel

Maywood fabrics also has quality flannel.

Blog Entries
    Benartex double sided flannels are YUMMY! they are so lofty- soft- luxurious === some of the most wonderful flannels i've come across.
    Woolies Flannels are also very nice.
    when i have a choice i always go with the Benartex Flannels.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

What is the difference in the flannels. I've never heard of double sided sounds soft especially for a baby. Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    Benartex double sided flannels are YUMMY! they are so lofty- soft- luxurious === some of the most wonderful flannels i've come across.
    Woolies Flannels are also very nice.
    when i have a choice i always go with the Benartex Flannels.
    Is the Benatex flannel called the "Apple Butter" flannel????

Also, on fabric.com, there is flannel on salel for aprox 6.00/yd. Is that about the right price range for a quality flannel??
    Since I don't need much, I can splurge a litte.

Blog Entries
    $6 a yard for flannel is quite a deal! in the lqs it is $11.50 a yard!
    i've bought lots of flannels from fabric.com- some were thin- some were better- you can find them by manufacturer- (like moda, benartex, michael miller)
    the ones that are just under flannels- without a manufacturer listed are the (thinner) ones- not to say they are not good flannels- they are just a lighter weight flannel.
    i'm not sure if benartex put out Apple butter flannels- i do know they are nice flannels....i don't pay alot of attention to the names of different collections- i buy when i see it-feel it-want it---but tend to check certain manufacturers, designers for what i am looking for- what the name of the collection itself is---i seldom even notice.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I use nothing but flannel as backing, frequently using flannel sheets if the quilt is large. I wash and dry on hot twice to ensure that it won't shrink once it is on the quilt. I buy good 5oz. or 6oz. sheets.

I'm curious to know that you've read about how flannel "acts" when used as a backing. I've had plenty of experience with it and have had no problems at all.

Blog Entries
    Lots of good advice on flannels and brands, thank you for posting this.
    Retired & enjoying life

I just made myself a long sleeved shirt from some HENRY GLASS quilting flannel and it washed beautifully. Also MODA is usually very nice. I have found the best way to choose a nice flannel is to feel it. It can vary a lot from piece to piece even from the same maker.

I agree -- I have seen a lot of inconsistency between bolts. I hate some of the stiff flannels as I have not been able to soften them enough with washing. I do wash all flannels before use because even within the same brand I have had pieces that shrink at different rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie M. View Post
    I just made myself a long sleeved shirt from some HENRY GLASS quilting flannel and it washed beautifully. Also MODA is usually very nice. I have found the best way to choose a nice flannel is to feel it. It can vary a lot from piece to piece even from the same maker.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.